Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

relating to supervision and responsibility
digital
rival
lucrative
managerial
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of 'doubled'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
changed vs. modified | Frightened vs. fearful
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of 'doubled' #1 (permalink) Sat Jan 22, 2005 13:54 pm   Meaning of 'doubled'

Test No. incompl/inter-3 "If you tend to forget", question 6

If you had bought a house about thirty years ago you would certainly find that it had considerably ......... in value.

(a) increased
(b) heightened
(c) developed
(d) doubled

Test No. incompl/inter-3 "If you tend to forget", answer 6

If you had bought a house about thirty years ago you would certainly find that it had considerably increased in value.

Correct answer: (a) increased

Your answer was: incorrect
If you had bought a house about thirty years ago you would certainly find that it had considerably doubled in value.

What does the sentence mean when you use the word "double"
jorien

Meaning of 'doubled' #2 (permalink) Sat Jan 22, 2005 20:45 pm   Meaning of 'doubled'

This means twice as valuable but you cannot qualify this with considerably.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Meaning of 'doubled' #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 20:48 pm   Meaning of 'doubled'

But grammatically it can be considered there are two correct answers: " Increased" and " doubled ".

Because it is imaginable that its value doubled. It is true, that " increased " is really a wider concept, but it includes "doubled".

changed vs. modified | Frightened vs. fearful
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
critics often say that it was a flop at the box officePhotojournalism is a branch of journalismСайты "П&#10Сайты "П&#10Сайты "П&#10Сайты "П&#10An editorial is an opinion column that states the opinion of the editorMeaning of "early departure"?Expression: keeping up with the JonesesResign versus quitAdvantage vs. profitWhat is exhausted?Difference between pieces and parts