to raise money for; to provide with funds; to fund; to pay for
analyze
equip
lend
finance

why "it was a dream come true"?

One matter about conditional and "But For" | what does 'running for their lives' mean?
why "it was a dream come true"? #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 23, 2007 15:03 pm   why "it was a dream come true"?

I t was a dream come true.

why here use come true? why not a dream that had come true?
Vaok

why "it was a dream come true"? #2 (permalink) Fri Nov 23, 2007 16:46 pm   why "it was a dream come true"?

'Why' is not the best question when it comes to English, Vaok.

While 'a dream that had come true' would be grammatically correct, the set phrase is 'a dream come true'.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
why "it was a dream come true"? #3 (permalink) Fri Nov 23, 2007 23:47 pm   why "it was a dream come true"?

There's just one thing I'd like to add, namely: not only is "dream come true" a set expression, but it is also perfectly correct from the grammatical point of view, because, as I'm sure you know, the verb "come" is irregular (come - came,come) whose "infinitive" form is identical to "past participle". Here the expression "to come true" (which means "to materialize, become a reality, become fulfilled" is used with the verb in the "past participle" form by analogy with "girls gone wild" or "teacher turned gangster". In other words, nothing to be surprised or puzzled by, because in this case everything makes perfect sense, even though in language it does not have to be this way.
Hewhocares

why "it was a dream come true"? #4 (permalink) Sat Nov 24, 2007 0:01 am   why "it was a dream come true"?

I'd be happier with a dream come true.

_________________

why "it was a dream come true"? #5 (permalink) Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:19 am   why "it was a dream come true"?

I'd be happier with a dream true.

Oh dear. Have you Brits now decided to start eliminating certain participles instead of eliminating the article 'a'? :wink: :lol:
_________________

why "it was a dream come true"? #6 (permalink) Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:54 am   why "it was a dream come true"?

To Amy: nail on the head, actually :lol:

To Alan: where is your consistency: how about discussing language matters that matter - that's how you phrased it. Dream come true is the core that matters, while the indefinite article may be replaced by, say, a possessive pronoun (my/his dream come true) or an adjective a longtime/coveted/cherished, etc. dream come true or even the definite article: the dream of my/his/her life come true. So the article is irrelevant here, Alan, in contrast to the "in a sense that/in the sense that" question. :wink:
Hewhocares

why "it was a dream come true"? #7 (permalink) Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:27 am   why "it was a dream come true"?

a set phrase

I see. thank you very much!
Vaok

why "it was a dream come true"? #8 (permalink) Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:30 am   why "it was a dream come true"?

Oh dear indeed. I should have said: a drean come true, naughty me!

If you care, hewho,who said anything about articles being irrelevant? 'A dream come true' uses 'a' to mean 'one', doesn't it?

_________________

why "it was a dream come true"? #9 (permalink) Sat Nov 24, 2007 18:01 pm   why "it was a dream come true"?

Hi Voak

I also once asked about this special use of "come".

Expression: "...come to help celebrate..."

...and a much more detailed discussion here:

http://www.englishforums.com/English/ExpressionGivesStrengthFaceBusy-LiesAhead/vzxhc/Post.htm

Essay: "Britons are poor conversationalists."meaning of the verb "hack off""Please attend to the machine." vs "Please see to the machine.'Expression: "She is not being understanding."the meaning of "walves"meaning of "shed some light on something"meaning of "in the grind"Shall or Willhot English tipsmeaning of the phrase "make a show of something"meaning of "barely had the presence of mind"Expression: "Your duty as husband demands that you..."Expression: "First time I heard death rattle."