Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

sum of money that has been put in a bank for safekeeping; partial payment; pledge
deposit
accountant
kind
inventor
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

meaning of "shed some light on something"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Expression: "Your duty as husband demands that you..." | the meaning of "walves"
listening exercisestell a friend
meaning of "shed some light on something" #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 25, 2007 13:53 pm   meaning of "shed some light on something"

Hello,

a few days ago, on this forum, I replied to a question and the person who asked the question replied to my answer the following:

I would request some moderator to shed some light on this one please

and last night, as I was watching a movie, I heard a character saying: "let me shed some light on that" (they were a few people in a dark place, trying to find out what was making noise, as they were approaching, the guy holding a flashlight said the previous sentence).

So, I see that it can be used in two different meanings, but I don't really understand it!

Does it mean "to clear things up" for the first sentence and "enlighten" for the second one?

Thank you for your help
Johan
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

meaning of "shed some light on something" #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 25, 2007 14:50 pm   meaning of "shed some light on something"

Hi,

Literally it means shine some light on something but in the figurative sense as it was used in the forum it means give some kind of explanation for something that is not clear. It's often used with words like 'mystery'. If a child disappears as was the case for an English couple in the spring this year in Portugal when their young daughter was taken from her bedroom and ever since they have asked the public to help them 'shed some light on' what actually happened. It doesn't mean give a full explanation for a mystery but try to give some idea oof what might have happened.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
meaning of "shed some light on something" #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 25, 2007 14:51 pm   meaning of "shed some light on something"

The character in the movie was making a pun. 'To shed light on' = make free from confusion or ambiguity; make clear. The character was suggesting he would do that...and also shed (= to impart or release; give or send forth light, sound, fragrance, influence, etc.). the light of his flashlight on the source of the noise.

meaning of "shed some light on something" #4 (permalink) Sun Nov 25, 2007 14:52 pm   meaning of "shed some light on something"

Ah.

Good evening, Alan.

meaning of "shed some light on something" #5 (permalink) Sun Nov 25, 2007 14:52 pm   meaning of "shed some light on something"

ok tahnk you Alan
Johan

meaning of "shed some light on something" #6 (permalink) Sun Nov 25, 2007 14:53 pm   meaning of "shed some light on something"

thanks Mister Micawber too
Johan

Expression: "Your duty as husband demands that you..." | the meaning of "walves"
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Group1 vs. Group 2pile together wawyLines: "Betting or gambling has been defined as..."Essay: "Britons are poor conversationalists."meaning of the verb "hack off""Please attend to the machine." vs "Please see to the machine.'Expression: "She is not being understanding."usage of "recoup"meaning of "in the grind"One matter about conditional and "But For"what does 'running for their lives' mean?Shall or Willwhy "it was a dream come true"?