compact; having a high mass per unit volume; close
certain
unauthorized
dense
outbound

Meaning of scalded cats

Difference between reveal and expose | What does this phrase mean: "the person in the house next to mine"?
Meaning of scalded cats #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:23 am   Meaning of scalded cats

Test No. express/advan-10 "Cats, Dogs and Ducks", question 10

As so many people are coming to a party at their house, they're running around preparing food like scalded cats.

(a) in a nervous state
(b) in a delighted state
(c) in a hurried state
(d) in a hilarious state

Test No. express/advan-10 "Cats, Dogs and Ducks", answer 10

As so many people are coming to a party at their house, they're running around preparing food in a nervous state.

Correct answer: (a) in a nervous state

As so many people are coming to a party at their house, they're running around preparing food in a hurried state.
_________________________

What does it mean?
Marcel

Meaning of a scalded cat #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 24, 2005 13:13 pm   Meaning of a scalded cat

It means exactly what the explanation says: If you run around like a scalded cat you act in a very nervous way.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two students at the library

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of a scalded cat #3 (permalink) Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:22 am   Meaning of a scalded cat

Torsten wrote:

really? i've never heard this in reference to anything other than hurrying and moving REALLY fast. if you throw scalding water on a cat you expect him to be nervous? i expect her to shoot out of the room like a .... like a ...well, a scalded cat ;)

Scalded cats - definition #4 (permalink) Wed Jul 20, 2005 22:28 pm   Scalded cats - definition

Well,

You certainly will agree that there is a close connection between being nervous and moving fast, won't you?

TOEIC listening, photographs: In front of a store

Yes... #5 (permalink) Fri Jul 22, 2005 18:35 pm   Yes...

I ceartainly would.....
Rich7

Location: Caracas, Venezuela

At the momentDifference between prior to and beforeMeaning of 'hitchhike'Idiom: it's your turnAverage incomeIndian words?Meaning of 'yield'Meaning of 'joint account'meaning of revolvingMeaning of 'storage'difference between quickly and utterlymeaning of ApplicationExpression: It's about time