Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

decayed; decomposed; putrid; spoiled; despicable
few
rotten
contemporary
dotted
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Two words required for certain actions. | A verb required for a situation.
listening exercisestell a friend
What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone? #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:01 am   What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone?

If someone says at the telephone:

"just bare with me"

what does that exactly mean?
Pstein
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone? #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:16 am   What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone?

Hi pstein,

I guess you meant bear.

If somebody says on the telephone 'bear with me', he apparently means to wait a little bit.
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone? #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 12, 2007 17:53 pm   What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone?

I agree with Pamela that the spelling should be 'bear'.

To me, "just bear with me" means "be patient (with me)"

What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone? #4 (permalink) Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:06 am   What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone?

Hi Pstein,

In addition to Pamela's and Amy's answers I'd like to point that your question should read: What does "bear with me" mean?

TOEIC listening, photographs: A loading dock
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone? #5 (permalink) Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:46 am   What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone?

Hi Amy,

I know the meaning of the expression in question but if someone asks on the telephone:
Oh, Jack, just bear with me while I am sending a message to my sibling.
To me, wait and be patient (with me) are almost synonymous in the given context. What do you think?
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone? #6 (permalink) Thu Dec 13, 2007 13:35 pm   What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone?

Hi Pamela

Yes, when you ask someone to be patient with you, that often involves waiting -- patiently waiting. :lol:

I added my post because to me the expression "bear with me" is less strongly connected with the idea of waiting, and more strongly connected with being patient with, putting up with, or indulging someone. In my opinion, the fact that the context is a telephone conversation doesn't really impact or change the meaning of "bear with me".

What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone? #7 (permalink) Thu Dec 13, 2007 15:35 pm   What means: "just bare with me" at the telephone?

Many thanks, Amy. :wink:
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Two words required for certain actions. | A verb required for a situation.
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Do you think the sentence is wrong?What score? (bare vs raw vs primitive vs crude)Present perfect vs. Present Pefect ProgressiveHe is anything but retired.forming a questionCan we use the word "pregnant" for animals?Expression: "My tongue caught my teeth."English word for "aahat"first prize v.s. the first prizeusage of "guilt trip"Bare Infinitiveways of saying "a computer froze up"Could you please explain this passage for me...