adequate amount; sufficient degree
dispatch
enough
accident
purpose

Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend

difference between 'important to' and 'important for' | Usage of the preposition "out of"
Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 19, 2007 19:00 pm   Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend

"Shall we go to Paris for the weekend, John?" Mary asked

-- Mary suggested John and her going to Paris for the weekend

Is it right? Can we use "her going" like in that sentence?
If so, you can give me the reason and some examples?

Many thanks
Nhung

Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 19, 2007 20:29 pm   Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend

The construction in your sentence sounds a little complicated as you have a mixture of 'object' and 'possessive' - suggested 'John's and her going which in the context doesn't make sense but what you want to say is: suggested that John and she (should) go. The sentence after 'suggested' needs to be a noun clause and so you could say: Mary suggested she and John go to Paris.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend #3 (permalink) Sat Dec 22, 2007 19:11 pm   Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend

So,if I write like that,it means I am wrong?
and what do you think about the following sentences?
1)I feel very strongly that this plan won't work---feel+adv?
(I think "feel+adj",for example:I feel very hot.So can you tell me more information about it?)
2)I just can't ...the winter so I can go skiing again
a, wait for
b,await
I looked up them in my dictionary,and I see that:they have the same meaning,but the correct answer in my book is :a:wait for,why so?)
Nhung

What are you thinking about?Perform+preposition?Go by the name?Enemyship? The state of being an enemy?Merry Christmas!Postoperativehow to read big digits?Expectance vs expectationA Russian philologist helps you with vocabulary...the job was done by the user "himself" or "itself"?false? fake? promisespeace of mindDifferences between these sentences?