Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

adequate amount; sufficient degree
dispatch
enough
accident
purpose
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
difference between 'important to' and 'important for' | Usage of the preposition "out of"
listening exercisestell a friend
Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 19, 2007 19:00 pm   Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend

"Shall we go to Paris for the weekend, John?" Mary asked

-- Mary suggested John and her going to Paris for the weekend

Is it right? Can we use "her going" like in that sentence?
If so, you can give me the reason and some examples?

Many thanks
Nhung
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 19, 2007 20:29 pm   Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend

Hi,

The construction in your sentence sounds a little complicated as you have a mixture of 'object' and 'possessive' - suggested 'John's and her going which in the context doesn't make sense but what you want to say is: suggested that John and she (should) go. The sentence after 'suggested' needs to be a noun clause and so you could say: Mary suggested she and John go to Paris.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend #3 (permalink) Sat Dec 22, 2007 19:11 pm   Grammar question: Mary suggested John and [her going] to Paris for the weekend

So,if I write like that,it means I am wrong?
and what do you think about the following sentences?
1)I feel very strongly that this plan won't work---feel+adv?
(I think "feel+adj",for example:I feel very hot.So can you tell me more information about it?)
2)I just can't ...the winter so I can go skiing again
a, wait for
b,await
I looked up them in my dictionary,and I see that:they have the same meaning,but the correct answer in my book is :a:wait for,why so?)
Nhung
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

difference between 'important to' and 'important for' | Usage of the preposition "out of"
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What are you thinking about?Perform+preposition?Go by the name?Enemyship? The state of being an enemy?Merry Christmas!Postoperativehow to read big digits?Expectance vs expectationA Russian philologist helps you with vocabulary...the job was done by the user "himself" or "itself"?false? fake? promisespeace of mindDifferences between these sentences?