person who accepts; person who takes or gets
recipient
press
entertainer
delegate

What is a database?

Expression: I feel like taking the air at the moment | What's the meaning of blow me down?
What is a database? #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:07 am   What is a database?

ESL/EFL Test #294 "Economics Questions test (2)", question 6

......... store huge amounts of information within computer systems that were not in existence 40 years ago.

(a) Advantages
(b) Databases
(c) Assembly lines

ESL/EFL Test #294 "Economics Questions test (2)", answer 6

Databases store huge amounts of information within computer systems that were not in existence 40 years ago.

Correct answer: (b) Databases
_________________________

please explain it!

Murena
Murena

Databases #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 31, 2007 18:38 pm   Databases

Hi Murena,
This definition is right from a dictionary.
Databases: "a usually large collection of data organized - especially for rapid search and retrieval (as by a computer)."
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What is a database? #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 31, 2007 21:03 pm   What is a database?

Hi Murena

Interestingly, the definition of 'database' that I find in the online version of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary does not contain a dash:
database
a usually large collection of data organized especially for rapid search and retrieval (as by a computer)

You can find additional definitions here.

The word database itself is rather new to English. You might also find the etymology of the word interesting (included here under the entry for the word data):
Meaning "transmittable and storable computer information" first recorded 1946. Data processing is from 1954. Database formed 1962, from data + base.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=d&p=1

Or did you want an explanation of the sentence as a whole?
.
_________________

explanation of the word jeopardywhat is parking in securities trading practices?When do you use something and when do you use anything?Why is 'execute' not appropriate?meaning of wizard'applied for this job' vs 'interested in this job'How to answer the question 'How do you do?'anywhere vs somewherewhat do 'ill timed' and 'ill gotten' mean?What's the meaning of foreshadowing?It should be any child why it is any children'looks like' vs 'looks as'Approximately 5 years ago you sold a miniature mesh jewlery holder...