origin; starting point
source
logo
dealer
leather

when do I use "had"?

Plural or singular in this case? Apples vs apple. | Question about passage: For instance, he'd like to outlaw all leads involving...
when do I use "had"? #1 (permalink) Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:58 am   when do I use "had"?

i was told that the word "had" is kind of past-past tense.
but i am still not very sure when is the right time to use it.

also, is it possible to have a past tense after had? would it become past-past-past tense?!?! :oops: for instance, had finshed

so which should be the correct one?
1. she had finshed her homework this morning.
2. she had finsh her homework this morning.

Thank you. :)

edit:
i did the quiz and i just realised that "had finshed" is a Past Perfect Simple. then my question now is, when do i use Past Perfect Simple? :oops:

thank you
Timidboy

when do I use "had"? #2 (permalink) Sat Jan 05, 2008 17:04 pm   when do I use "had"?

"She had finish her homework this morning" doesn't make sense.
"She had to finish her homework this morning" and your first answer does.
"She had better finish her homework" makes sense but the "this morning" phrase makes it incongruent as it means it's no longer morning and the previous quoted sentence is a present threat ^^

I googled for 'past perfect' and found this among others : http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfect.html
Maybe it can help us both :)
Thanos

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
'The success of the Eric Canal spurred an area of canal building.' Help!Punctuating 'in fact'...what does the phrase 'the low din' mean?meaning of "go out on the toe"usage of "offer somebody resistance""amount to" or "amounts to"?when do I use "may" and "might"forename vs. first namewhat does "flimsiest of pretext" mean?relative clause...Championship vs CompetitonPhrase "the monarchs have come here in the Fall"During studying?