refuse; trash; disorder
litter
chapter
invoice
character

Difference between cause of and reason for

The small hours | When do question tags indicate irritation?
Difference between cause of and reason for #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 27, 2005 15:06 pm   Difference between cause of and reason for

Test No. errors/advan-8 "Admire his Achievement", question 7

I've asked again and again but nobody seems capable of explaining the reason of the accident that took place last week.

(a) I've asked
(b) capable of explaining
(c) reason
(d) took place

Test No. errors/advan-8 "Admire his Achievement", answer 7

I've asked again and again but nobody seems capable of explaining the cause of the accident that took place last week.

Correct entry: cause
The error was: (c) reason

Your answer was: n/a
_________________________

What's the nuance between "cause" and "reason"?
Helen

Cause of/reason for #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:08 am   Cause of/reason for

I think the difference is in the use of which preposition. Cause of gets to the heart of the matter whereas reason for merely gives a general explanation. The cause of the accident was the ice on the road but the reason for the accident was that the driver wasn't driving cerfully enough in those weather conditions.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between cause of and reason for #3 (permalink) Mon Jul 11, 2005 15:54 pm   Difference between cause of and reason for

Reason involves a human (conscious, rational) action; cause does not.
suzanverberne

Going to + gerundHe's bound to break the speed limitDifference between acceptable and considerableWhat does 'take issue' mean?Meaning of 'revolting'"Exist in large numbers" vs "Exist all over"What does this phrase mean: "it simply blew my mind"? Is it an idiom?Forgets vs. forgotPerceive vs. think ofMeaning of 'I can't stand it'Present perfect vs. past perfectMeaning of 'borrowers'Meaning of 'budget'