person who works in a skilled occupation; specialist
match
construction
gymnasium
professional

calmer or more calm

position of 'very often' in a sentence | Expression: "While she was changing back..."
calmer or more calm #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 13, 2008 17:05 pm   calmer or more calm

Dear All,

Could anyone tell me which is correct?

calmer
OR more calm

To tell the truth I've already seen both ways, but if I think of my studies I just don't understand why 'more calm' is also possible. It consists of just syllable, and I was taught that one syllable adjectives are formed with 'er (or -r) in the comparative.

Thank you for your reply.
Liza

calmer or more calm #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 13, 2008 21:29 pm   calmer or more calm

Hi Liza

Basically, it is never wrong to use 'more + adjective'. It is simply far more typical to form the comparative of one-syllable adjectives by adding -er to the end of the word.

I'd say that 'calmer' would be the more usual form by far. However, it depends a bit on the sentence construction. For example, if you want to use 'calm' and another one or two adjectives together, and both/all should be comparative, it makes sense to simply use 'more' like this:

"He was more cool, calm and collected than I was after the robbery."

The sentence above is grammatically correct. The expression "cool, calm and collected" is also a fixed expression, so it tends to sound a bit awkward if you change the forms of the words:

"He was cooler, calmer and more collected than I was after the robbery." =>Although this sentence is also grammatically correct, it sounds more awkward to me than the first version.

In addition, if a one-syllable adjective is a word that isn't often used comparatively, I'd say that people sometimes use more rather than the -er ending for the simple reason that the particular adjective sounds unusual with an -er ending. You will sometimes find this noted in dictionaries.

I think we have discussed this topic at least once already. Have you tried the forum's search function?
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
difference between promotion video and promotional video?fires on all four cylinder?Make sentences that have the same meaning as the sentences below using suggestedabsolute scale?How can we...? (Usage of crack, crackle, click, creak, crunch, etc.)help me with this essay: about what happens in a daySOS! Super hard sentence (I suspect strongly that Jone was responsible)What do you have to pay? What does this mean?The rule of turning adjective (or verb) into Noun?use sg for doing sg or use sg to do sgWhat does it means: He was known about it?she wouldn't knowdefining clause with 'which'