to occupy a place; to take a place; to obtain at an advance opportunity
anticipate
locate
preempt
cast

themselves vs ourselves

'When you have arrived at...' vs 'When you arrive at...' | difference between "will" and "shall"
themselves vs ourselves #1 (permalink) Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:01 am   themselves vs ourselves

ESL/EFL Test #40 "Reflexive Pronouns", question 2

His father always wanted his children to look after ......... and do what they wanted.

(a) themselves
(b) ourselves
(c) herself

ESL/EFL Test #40 "Reflexive Pronouns", answer 2

His father always wanted his children to look after themselves and do what they wanted.

Correct answer: (a) themselves
_________________________

I don't think it would be themselfs can you explain it to me

candice
candice

themselves vs ourselves #2 (permalink) Wed Jan 16, 2008 14:13 pm   themselves vs ourselves

.
The pronoun must match the noun it refers to.. Here, the noun is 'his children'...'themselves'.

father always wanted his children to look after themselves
father always wanted his child to look after himself / herself
father always wanted us children to look after ourselves
father always wanted me to look after myself

.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
meaning of 'he always demands his total satisfaction'what does "non-fiction" mean?since parts of each word's definition is again, does that similarity between...What does "live me in peace" mean?what does a steady aim mean?road vs wayphrasal verb "to pass away"What are 4 principles of Capitalism that Socialism rejects?What is the meaning by up in the air?why is "go out lonely" an incorrect variant?realistic vs unachievablewhat percentage/formula is used for the employer when figuring the employers FICA'turn left' vs 'turn wrong'