Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

attitude; stance; opinion
viewpoint
shipment
common
slash
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is the plural of the word business?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Articles - do you find them the hardest part of English | The use of 'ing' after 'to'
listening exercisestell a friend
What is the plural of the word business? #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 17, 2008 14:05 pm   What is the plural of the word business?

Please, help me out with this: What is the plural or the word business. I have heard that the word doesn´t carry plural, on the other hand, I have already seen the word BUSINESSES as the plural for business.
Peter

What is the plural of the word business? #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 17, 2008 14:18 pm   What is the plural of the word business?

Yes, businesses is a perfectly acceptable plural for the countable noun business.

During the Great Depression, many businesses went out of business.

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What is the plural of the word business? #3 (permalink) Thu Jan 17, 2008 15:17 pm   What is the plural of the word business?

Thanks for you comment. But, can I use the word BUSINESS for both cases, plural and singular, or it has to be BUSINESSES in case of plural?
Peter

What is the plural of the word business? #4 (permalink) Thu Jan 17, 2008 23:11 pm   What is the plural of the word business?

The countable plural is aways 'businesses'.

Articles - do you find them the hardest part of English | The use of 'ing' after 'to'
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
So or such? ('so a lot of people' vs 'such a lot of people')I'm not into crafts myselfwhat is the pural form for "Fish" actually?What is a qualified noun?What is 'in a cast'? What is the atrophying of biceps? What is pumping iron?'present unreal conditional' vs 'future unreal conditional'Is "would" a tentative use in this sentence?meaning of the phrase "Happy Days"Conditional (sentence about now or future)how to call the signs in an email addressExpressions for "repeated to death"Expression: "Your letter requesting the provision of the ..."condition v.s. a condition