to bring from another place; to bring goods from a foreign country; to signify; to imply
will
import
clear
approach

When and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't?

Sentence from VOA: to empower the modern and moderate voices and to disable... | get somebody by default?
When and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't? #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 21, 2008 13:47 pm   When and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't?

Hi !

Can someone explain me when and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't ?
What are the names of these different tenses ? What do they exactly express ? In which occurences is it preferable to use them ?

Thanks for your replies ! :)
Neen
Neen

When and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't? #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 21, 2008 20:21 pm   When and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't?

I think you need to look in a grammar book at the "simple past" tense and the "present perfect" tense. This should answer your questions, but if there is any specific confusion after that, we'd be glad to address it.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
When and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't? #3 (permalink) Mon Jan 21, 2008 20:54 pm   When and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't?

Jamie (K) wrote:

Thanks for mentionning the grammar book but the one I have for the moment is short concerning the verb topic.
In search of an urgent answer I logged in on this website.
I think you understand.
Neen

When and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't? #4 (permalink) Mon Jan 21, 2008 21:17 pm   When and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't?

Here are a couple of pages that explain them pretty well.

For the simple past:
http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/simplepast.html

For the present perfect:
http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/presentperfect.html

If they still confuse you, we'd be happy to answer some specific question.

When and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't? #5 (permalink) Mon Jan 21, 2008 22:38 pm   When and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't?

Thank you very much Jamie , it's been very useful.
Neen

When and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't? #6 (permalink) Sat Jan 26, 2008 14:47 pm   When and why using did/didn't instead of had/hadn't?

Not "present perfect" but "past perfect"
K7nixen

reported speech (He said he was at school yesterday.)"since I was 10" or "since my age of ten"expression 'home and dry'present perfect simple or continuousthe use of the word 'very'difference between pupil and peopleIs that really an indirect speech?"how to deal with" or "how to do with"?Her oven is on the fritz?Usage of filling (Chewing toffee caused my filling came out!)meaning of 'rotten'Can we call repurchase a synonymous antonym of resell?How to use 'stimulus' correctly?