lying flat on the back; inert; inactive; averse to taking action; indifferent; passive
apprehensive
stoic
ecclesiastic
supine

TOEFL® essay: Climate changes is a serious problem facing our world today

got my TOEFL® score! | TOEFL® essay: Road safety has become one of the nation’s most serious problems
TOEFL essay: Climate changes is a serious problem facing our world today #1 (permalink) Sat Jan 26, 2008 13:37 pm   TOEFL essay: Climate changes is a serious problem facing our world today

Assignment: “ Climate changes is a serious problem facing our world today”. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Over the last few years, climate changes have been hotly debated and become an accepted threat to our planet.

There are increasing evidences that climate changes are not only random but are also accelerated by industrial activities. The global temperature and the sea level are rising more rapidly than before, at 2 Celsius and 30cm repectively. As a result, coastal areas and small islands are being endangered, also, the frequency and the severity of extreme weather events such as droughts, floods and storms are grater and grater. Many nations have experienced extreme weather conditions such as Britain with the hottest summer on record in 2006 or the West of Viet Nam with several serious storms. Additionally, the burning of fossil fuels has released a large amount of carbob dioxide emissions which cause the greenhouse effect.

However, all the problems can be limmitted by enormous efforts of people all over the world. The Kyoto Agreement in the 1990s tried to create international consensus to limit industrial emissions of gases. Unfortunately, some nations are unwilling to comit to real change due to economic pressures from within the countries and the interests of mutinational coporations. What’s more, by investing in renewable energy and energy efficiency, most nations can take essential steps toward reducing the dependence on oil and other fossil fuels, and save billions of dollars on gasonline. Moreover, the authorities should also put an emphasis on raising people’s awareness about climate changes so that everyone will realise their resposibility for saving the planet , as well as the environment.

In conclusion, climate changes are now so serious and have direct influences on our planet . Nevertheless, by putting energy efficiency, renewable energy and paying more attention to the environment, people all over the world will altogether reduce the contribution to global warming while creating a stronger, healthier and more secure world.

----------------
I'm really in need of your help because I have only 2 days left !

TOEFL listening lectures: Which characteristic of Ireland does the professor utilize in his lecture?
Jinnie

Location: Viet Nam

question about studying and TOEFL® prepTOEFL® essay topic: You’re planning to study abroadTOEFL® essay: People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doingTOEFL® essay examples: A Problem Shared is a Problem SolvedTOEFL® essay: You should not believe everything that you read in the newspaperTOEFL® essay: Confidence comes from the support of othersTOEFL® essay: Many people feel that history, literature, and other liberal arts...TOEFL® essay: What do you think about modern ways of communications?TOEFL® essay: People attend college or university for many different reasons...Types of TOEFL® iBT essaysquestion about my TOEFL® scoreNewbie TOEFL®TOEFL® essay example: Playing games teaches us about life