Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

pertaining to a city; pertaining to citizenship
nearby
civic
unnecessary
admirable
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does 'at no charge' mean? | she also volunteers at the police station
listening exercisestell a friend
What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 12, 2004 16:30 pm   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

Test No. incompl/inter-48 "Speaking 5 (The Wedding)", question 10

Mind you I was surprised because you see I find it quite ......... why on earth she didn't marry me.

(a) unbelievable
(b) unbelieving
(c) disbelief
(d) disbelieving

Test No. incompl/inter-48 "Speaking 5 (The Wedding)", answer 10

Mind you I was surprised because you see I find it quite unbelievable why on earth she didn't marry me.

Correct answer: (d) unbelievable

Hi! Tell me please! I don't understand.
Many thanks
Thinker
Thinker
You can meet me at english-test.net

Mind you #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 12, 2004 17:06 pm   Mind you

Hi Thinker,

The expression is used mainly in conversation when you are about to introduce a topic that you find a little unusual or surprising. So you could be talking about someone with other people and the others are all very critical and you start to speak and say: 'Mind you, you must agree that he works very hard.' In that way you are expressing a different opinion from what the others are expressing.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Mind you #3 (permalink) Thu Feb 12, 2004 17:29 pm   Mind you

Hello Alan! Many thanks
Thinker
Thinker
You can meet me at english-test.net

Mind you #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:35 am   Mind you

Alan wrote:
Hi Thinker,

The expression is used mainly in conversation when you are about to introduce a topic that you find a little unusual or surprising. So you could be talking about someone with other people and the others are all very critical and you start to speak and say: 'Mind you, you must agree that he works very hard.' In that way you are expressing a different opinion from what the others are expressing.

Alan

Hi Alan,
Would you please tell me why the first choice is not correct?
Thanks beforehand.
Hiwa

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #5 (permalink) Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:14 am   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

Hello,

I think Mr. Alan Townend has accepted Answer (d), disbelieving, as the correct answer in his reply to Thinker:

Quote:
Hi Thinker,

Alan

However, the current answer is Answer (a), unbelievable, according to my following test result. Could someone please make certain of the actual answer, unbelievable or disbelieving, and explain it?

Answer 10
correct sentence:
Mind you I was surprised because you see I find it quite unbelievable why on earth she didn't marry me.

Correct answer: (a) unbelievable

Your answer was: correct (Thursday, June 17, 2010.)
http://www.english-test.net/esl/learn/english/grammar/ii048/esl-test.php#eight

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #6 (permalink) Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:43 am   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

Is this just a joking from the speaker to the groom?

thanks.

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #7 (permalink) Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:47 am   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

The correct answer is 'unbelievable' and that's the word Alan was referring to.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Would you rather have juice or a soft drink?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #8 (permalink) Wed May 18, 2011 16:38 pm   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

Hello Alan,

Could you explain to me the meaning of the phrase " mind you".

Thanks
Maddy
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #9 (permalink) Wed May 18, 2011 16:43 pm   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

290 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi Maddy,

'Mind you' is one of those expressions used in informal writing or in conversation. It's something like 'on the other hand' 'i have to say' 'I must admit' and so on.

Look at this:

A It's amazing how much a doctor can earn these days, isn't it?

B Yes, you're right. Mind you, I do think they work very hard for their pay.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #10 (permalink) Thu May 19, 2011 14:43 pm   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

Thanks a lot for your explanation Alan!

Maddy
Maddy
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does 'at no charge' mean? | she also volunteers at the police station
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
come camping vs. come to campseveralA sea lionDo it when I have time vs. do it until I have timehe also sacked the entire department.a lot of people at the fundraiserThe meaning of a sentence??(have/has) not been living here for a long timesome vs. anyWhat does 'every other day' mean?must be aboutcourseI forgot my keys