pertaining to a city; pertaining to citizenship
nearby
civic
unnecessary
admirable

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

What does 'at no charge' mean? | she also volunteers at the police station
What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 12, 2004 16:30 pm   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

Test No. incompl/inter-48 "Speaking 5 (The Wedding)", question 10

Mind you I was surprised because you see I find it quite ......... why on earth she didn't marry me.

(a) unbelievable
(b) unbelieving
(c) disbelief
(d) disbelieving

Test No. incompl/inter-48 "Speaking 5 (The Wedding)", answer 10

Mind you I was surprised because you see I find it quite unbelievable why on earth she didn't marry me.

Correct answer: (d) unbelievable

Hi! Tell me please! I don't understand.
Many thanks
Thinker
Thinker

Mind you #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 12, 2004 17:06 pm   Mind you

Hi Thinker,

The expression is used mainly in conversation when you are about to introduce a topic that you find a little unusual or surprising. So you could be talking about someone with other people and the others are all very critical and you start to speak and say: 'Mind you, you must agree that he works very hard.' In that way you are expressing a different opinion from what the others are expressing.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Mind you #3 (permalink) Thu Feb 12, 2004 17:29 pm   Mind you

Hello Alan! Many thanks
Thinker
Thinker

Mind you #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:35 am   Mind you

Hi Thinker,

Hi Alan,
Would you please tell me why the first choice is not correct?
Thanks beforehand.
Hiwa

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #5 (permalink) Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:14 am   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

I think Mr. Alan Townend has accepted Answer (d), disbelieving, as the correct answer in his reply to Thinker:

Hi Thinker,

However, the current answer is Answer (a), unbelievable, according to my following test result. Could someone please make certain of the actual answer, unbelievable or disbelieving, and explain it?

Answer 10
correct sentence:

Correct answer: (a) unbelievable

Your answer was: correct (Thursday, June 17, 2010.)
http://www.english-test.net/esl/learn/english/grammar/ii048/esl-test.php#eight

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #6 (permalink) Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:43 am   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

Is this just a joking from the speaker to the groom?

thanks.
_________________
I have a dream and I want to know the secret of time and universe.
Zhangbaixiang

Location: Chinese

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #7 (permalink) Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:47 am   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

The correct answer is 'unbelievable' and that's the word Alan was referring to.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Would you rather have juice or a soft drink?

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #8 (permalink) Wed May 18, 2011 16:38 pm   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

Hello Alan,

Could you explain to me the meaning of the phrase " mind you".

Maddy

Location: Italy

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #9 (permalink) Wed May 18, 2011 16:43 pm   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

Hi Maddy,

'Mind you' is one of those expressions used in informal writing or in conversation. It's something like 'on the other hand' 'i have to say' 'I must admit' and so on.

Look at this:

A It's amazing how much a doctor can earn these days, isn't it?

B Yes, you're right. Mind you, I do think they work very hard for their pay.

_________________

What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks #10 (permalink) Thu May 19, 2011 14:43 pm   What does this expression mean: 'mind you'? Thanks

Thanks a lot for your explanation Alan!

Maddy
Maddy

Location: Italy

come camping vs. come to campseveralA sea lionDo it when I have time vs. do it until I have timehe also sacked the entire department.a lot of people at the fundraiserThe meaning of a sentence??(have/has) not been living here for a long timesome vs. anyWhat does 'every other day' mean?must be aboutcourseI forgot my keys