Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

device; tool; convenience; talent; ability; building
regular
attendance
smart
facility
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does this idiom mean: water under the bridge

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
protagonis vs. antagonis | meaning of bedlam
listening exercisestell a friend
What does this idiom mean: water under the bridge #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 20, 2008 13:46 pm   What does this idiom mean: water under the bridge

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #408 "Water Idioms", question 5

He's decided to make a fresh start and regards all his old problems as water under the bridge -- means: ..........

(a) not worth looking at
(b) not worth worrying about
(c) not worth talking about
(d) not worth dreaming about

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #408 "Water Idioms", answer 5

He's decided to make a fresh start and regards all his old problems as water under the bridge -- means: not worth worrying about.

Correct answer: (b) not worth worrying about

what does this idiom mean?

ROselyn
ROselyn

What does this idiom mean: water under the bridge #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 20, 2008 14:07 pm   What does this idiom mean: water under the bridge

'It is water under the bridge' means that it has happened, for better or worse, and cannot be changed, so it might as well not be worried about any more.

For instance, if I fail a job interview, I will not be hired by that company, so there is no point in my worrying about that interview; I should just start job-hunting again.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
protagonis vs. antagonis | meaning of bedlam
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
what includes an economic advantage of a business combination?pretend vs predictwhat does weaker mean?meaning of "weakest spot"what does "of the first water" mean?tired vs uncomfortablemeaning of cumbersomewhat does SMEs means?Relationship idioms?What is the difference between stalking and straining?Meaning of 'Two out of every five companies struck...'what does the phrase "go back" mean?'police officer' vs 'police man'