Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to make different; to invest one's assets in various securities
confuse
represent
diversify
divert
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Talking about transportation: When do we use ride in, ride on, or take?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Preposition cause problems? | Usage of the phrase "for good"
listening exercisestell a friend
Talking about transportation: When do we use ride in, ride on, or take? #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:30 am   Talking about transportation: When do we use ride in, ride on, or take?

Hello,
I am teaching in Japan and am wondering if anyone can help me with this question. When we are talking about transportation, when do we use ride in, ride on, or take ???
Hope to hear from someone soon.
Thanks
Rhiannon
Glitters4u

Talking about transportation: When do we use ride in, ride on, or take? #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:26 am   Talking about transportation: When do we use ride in, ride on, or take?

Hi,

'Take' when used with transport that is mechanically driven is probably the most common and innocuous. 'Ride on' would suggest that the rider is sitting on top of something as in bicycle or horse. When we transfer this idea to something like a bus/train it suggests to me that doing this is some sort of special event or treat or new experience as in: We went for a ride on that new type of bus where you have a 360 degree panoramic view. 'Ride in' would indicate that you are inside and can be seen from the outside as in: The king and queen were riding in a gold carriage drawn by six horses.

Just some thoughts but no doubt others will pick holes in them!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Preposition cause problems? | Usage of the phrase "for good"
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
to plural or not to plural these phrases ;-)error vs fault vs mistakecan't make out the words...Expression: "You should listen to..."Hi, I have questions about "Brass Spittoons"Usage of the verb 'confirm'is this sentence correct? (Please see the attached file explaining about xyz...)smiling about her prospects, long journey intoHelp me with these two difficult sentencesHire vs Rentcan 'the oldest' be used without a noun?meaning of a sentence"I've got..." vs. "I've..."