Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

one who does not eat meat; herbivore
subsidiary
independent
box
vegetarian
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

adopt vs adapt

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Idiom: of a short sleep | What is the difference between footsie and games?
listening exercisestell a friend
adopt vs adapt #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:45 am   adopt vs adapt

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #98 "The Parliamentary Candidate (1)", question 2

All the members of his family were pleased therefore when Henry was ......... as the prospective parliamentary candidate for the constituency in which they were living.

(a) adapted
(b) added
(c) adopted
(d) addicted

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #98 "The Parliamentary Candidate (1)", answer 2

All the members of his family were pleased therefore when Henry was adopted as the prospective parliamentary candidate for the constituency in which they were living.

Correct answer: (c) adopted

Your answer was: incorrect
All the members of his family were pleased therefore when Henry was adapted as the prospective parliamentary candidate for the constituency in which they were living.

why adapted is not suitable in this question?

dummie
dummie

adopt vs adapt #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:50 am   adopt vs adapt

Hi,

'Adopt' has the general meaning of 'accept'. In the test sentence it means that the local political party agreed to take on Henry as the official candidate. 'Adapt' on the other hand, has the general meaning of 'change'. You can adapt a novel/book so that it can be made into a film.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
adopt vs adapt #3 (permalink) Mon Mar 03, 2008 23:46 pm   adopt vs adapt

Is it right to use therefore in that position? I have heard from my teacher that we can only use "therefore" at the beginning of a sentence.

Nessie.

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

adopt vs adapt #4 (permalink) Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:42 am   adopt vs adapt

Hi,

It's perfectly all right to use 'therefore' in that position as far as I am concerned.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

adopt vs adapt #5 (permalink) Thu Sep 11, 2008 15:27 pm   adopt vs adapt

Hi Sir,

I have recieved your email concerned my question, which i asked last time.Now am ok with those two words.

best regards
omario

There is something which always blow my mind all the time, and would like to know the correct answer.the word Englisch is it the People or a Language?

omario
Omario
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Idiom: of a short sleep | What is the difference between footsie and games?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does mimicked mean?How many words do I know?What does 'do away' mean? Is it an idiom or a phrasal verb?What's the difference between fridge and cooler?What does agree to stay civilian mean?What does the idiom "sell me" mean?Translation of wavelengthdo vs. makeCan't I say like "I am (was) experienced."?You can't avoid it because it is enormous...What does 'to be with you on that' mean? I agree with you?Meaning of "ill at ease"Is television considered as the correct answer?