Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

classified; confidential; clandestine; covert; hidden; latent
versatile
harmful
secret
promotional
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

difference between happen to and come to?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Expense account | There is no denying - definition
listening exercisestell a friend
difference between happen to and come to? #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 04, 2008 13:51 pm   difference between happen to and come to?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #278 "Work and job expressions", question 4

But then what would ......... to us if we didn't do any work?

(a) happen
(b) arrive
(c) occur
(d) come

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #278 "Work and job expressions", answer 4

But then what would happen to us if we didn't do any work?

Correct answer: (a) happen

i would like to know the difference between happen to and come to?

Giga
Giga

difference between happen to and come to? #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:31 am   difference between happen to and come to?

Happen means what is going to be the result of something. "come to" is pretty much the same as "go to".

I hope this helps
Ched133
I'm here quite often ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
difference between happen to and come to? #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:17 pm   difference between happen to and come to?

My option for question above was "OCCUR". Why I cannot use it? Thanks for yours teaching.
Cristovam
I'm here quite often ;-)

difference between happen to and come to? #4 (permalink) Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:59 pm   difference between happen to and come to?

Hi,

'Occur' is a very precise definition of what takes place as in: An incident occurred last night in the street outside the theatre. It also has the sense of 'come to mind' as in: It occurred to me that you would be better to travel by train rather than drive there."Happen' is the best choice here by suggesting what the consequences would be of not working.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Expense account | There is no denying - definition
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Debt vs. debitwhat does implied mean?What does 'posh' mean?Using At or In before the name of placeWhy hardest not harder?Difference between mess and messyPrepositions: "far from", "next to"Difference between "name" and "call" herWhat does "to mark down" mean?Whom vs. thatDifference between supressed and muffledWhat does "That'll be the day" mean?Difference between all and everything