sign; indication; symbol; grade; trace
mark
code
software
subject

millions or million?

What there is of it | let's vs let us
millions or million? #1 (permalink) Mon Mar 10, 2008 19:08 pm   millions or million?

Hey guys...
I just didn't get my teacher's explanation about "Millions and million". He said that when talking about money "YOU MUST SAY two or three Million of dollars" and regarding people YOU MUST SAY "Millions of people". However, I've seen some ads that show phrases like "you will win millions if you do this or that"....and that's MONEY, isn't? So, whom should I believe to? I hope a fine clarification on it.

Thanks in advance...
_________________
Sergio M.
"Life is too short to grieve in sorrow"
Serzige

millions or million? #2 (permalink) Mon Mar 10, 2008 20:15 pm   millions or million?

Hi Serzige,

Your teacher's explanation is right. If there is a number before 'million' it's just the singular. In your ad there is no number so that's why it's 'millions'.

Let me know if this makes sense to you.

TOEIC listening, talks: Potential byer leaves voice message expressing his interest in purchasing a used car advertised online

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
millions or million? #3 (permalink) Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:56 am   millions or million?

so, if I say two MILLIONS DOLLARS, that's wrong, not only that but TWO MILLIONS PEOPLE is right, isnt'? That's what I get from your argument so that I am right, aren't I?
_________________
Sergio M.
"Life is too short to grieve in sorrow"
Serzige

millions or million? #4 (permalink) Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:52 am   millions or million?

If there is a number before the word 'million' it's used in the singular form. In the phrase 'two million people' there is the number 'two' before 'million' so you need the singular here.

TOEIC listening, talks: Young woman leaves voice mail asking her friend to call back

millions or million? #5 (permalink) Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:28 am   millions or million?

On a separate note, which is correct?

There is 2 million dollars on the table
There are 2 million dollars on the table

Ched133

millions or million? #6 (permalink) Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:04 am   millions or million?

Well, none of both sentences is entirely correct because they don't end with a full stop :-).
Joke aside, both are correct. The first one refers to an amount of money while the second says how many individual dollars are on the table. Obviously, the first one would be used much more frequently.

TOEIC listening, talks: A weather forecast predicts rainy and stormy conditions

millions or million? #7 (permalink) Wed Mar 12, 2008 15:53 pm   millions or million?

Thank you! another question though.

What situation will make sense to say "there are 2 million dollars on the table"
I want to know when you can say money in the plural form

another example,

there is 60 points scored tonight vs there are 60 points scored tonight
Ched133

millions or million? #8 (permalink) Wed Mar 12, 2008 20:38 pm   millions or million?

'There are 60 million dollars' means just that. Physically/literally/factually lying on the table are dollar notes in presumably different denominations and if you added them all up, the total would be 60 million.

As for your second point, I would phrase the comment as: 60 points have/has been scored tonight.

_________________

millions or million? #9 (permalink) Wed Mar 12, 2008 20:48 pm   millions or million?

so "is" or "are" is used for emphasis

If there is a one hundred dollar bill on the table i can never say "there are $100 on the table" because there is only 1 denomination

If there are many bills making up $100, i might say "there are $100 on the table" to emphasize you might need to recount them or something like that.........is this right?
Ched133

millions or million? #10 (permalink) Wed Mar 12, 2008 20:54 pm   millions or million?

Hi ched133,

I think you have received enough from us now to be able to work this out.

_________________

millions or million? #11 (permalink) Wed Mar 12, 2008 23:56 pm   millions or million?

Hey Alan and Torsten...
I've just realized that in the first post I wrote "Two Million OF people" and in the second I've written "Two Million People". Which one is right?
_________________
Sergio M.
"Life is too short to grieve in sorrow"
Serzige

millions or million? #12 (permalink) Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:41 am   millions or million?

There are twenty-two million people in this country.
Two million of them speak Farsi as their first language.

TOEIC listening, talks: Sports coach is giving his team pep talk during half-time of a match

millions or million? #13 (permalink) Thu Dec 03, 2009 18:47 pm   millions or million?

Hi.
Is the same thing also true for any entities ? Like 4 hours / hour , 5 year / years ??

Sh13

millions or million? #14 (permalink) Thu Dec 03, 2009 18:49 pm   millions or million?

Yes. Look at these examples:
- a four hour seminar
- a five year contract
- a three minute conversation

TOEIC listening, photographs: A parachute

millions or million? #15 (permalink) Thu Dec 03, 2009 18:55 pm   millions or million?

Sh13 wrote:
Hi.

No, this is a unique quality of numerals. You can say "I have two hundred/ thousand/ million/ billion friends," but "I waited for two hours/ years."
_________________
conĚtext - The part of a text or statement that surrounds a particular word or passage and determines its meaning.
Milanya

Location: Texas, USA (at present)

What there is of it | let's vs let us
Usage of below: Below is our best offer availabel now for your reference.Pass by something vs Pass something bySentence: Grade 12 students may take college courses.Difference among a car, cars and car?Right on.Conditional sentences?Sentences construction and correct use of vocabularyQuestions with "Is" and "Does"/"Do"synonyms and antonyms: What is the opposite of 'tip'?How to use the word 'though'?Right word for "to do something without planning or preparing it first"Where is "your honor" coming from?What are the steps involving in changing active voice to passive voice?