past; further than
beyond
anyhow
precisely
beneath

special verbs (watched/watch, hear/heard)

across vs over vs along vs through | some vague phrases (liquid from the vial was pure alcohol, etc.)
special verbs (watched/watch, hear/heard) #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 15, 2008 23:45 pm   special verbs (watched/watch, hear/heard)

hello,

I'm confused in regards to using special verbs such as help, let, make, watch, etc.

I was told that when special verbs are used, a present tense must be used. For example,

Watched/watch him run (always "run" and never "ran")
Hear/heard the car drive off (never drove)

I'm finding that this is not always the case in the following situations

I heard you took off
I heard you left

Can someone please explain to me how to use special verbs and why these two examples differ?
Ched133

special verbs (watched/watch, hear/heard) #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:04 am   special verbs (watched/watch, hear/heard)

.
In the first instance, the verb is not present tense; it is the bare infinitive (the infinitive with no 'to'): I watched him run; I helped her (to) finish her project.

In the second instance, the verb is part of a subordinate clause with omitted 'that': I heard (that) you took off.

Both structures are common in English.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Set a value 'to, on, in, of' 200...Things could be a lot worse.a small problem with tense and tag questionadvisable if/that?Usage of 'since'Usage of marvelous and greatUsage of the word "too"intensifiers of comparatives in negative sentencesI would be delighted to hear from youWhat do you associate with the word 'base'?lights were strungUsage of "both"Usage of commas in a series of independent sentences