Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

failure to perform a duty; option on a computer which is automatically selected
candidate
yield
consideration
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'major problem' mean?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
what does "bungee jumping " mean? | The word 'moved' is wrong in this sentence unless you pick a different word...
listening exercisestell a friend
What does 'major problem' mean? #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:24 am   What does 'major problem' mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #277 "My computer and me", question 10

It looks very smart and modern but I do have one ......... problem and that's because I don't know how to switch it on.

(a) spacious
(b) major
(c) size
(d) significant

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #277 "My computer and me", answer 10

It looks very smart and modern but I do have one major problem and that's because I don't know how to switch it on.

Correct answer: (b) major

I don't understand

Zandra
Zandra

"spacious problem" vs "major problem" #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:49 am   "spacious problem" vs "major problem"

Hi,

'Major problem' means one very big problem.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'major problem' mean? #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:16 am   What does 'major problem' mean?

But why isn't significant right?
By the way, what does "spacious problem" mean?
Thanks a lot
Nessie :)

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does 'major problem' mean? #4 (permalink) Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:35 am   What does 'major problem' mean?

Hi,

The emphasis is on the size of the problem (major) and not on its 'importance (significant). Spacious suggests wide-ranging, considerable in scope.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

what does "bungee jumping " mean? | The word 'moved' is wrong in this sentence unless you pick a different word...
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
differences between "outskirts" and "suburb"Difference between to establish a constitution and enact a constitutionAre you sure the main verb should be 'agree' and not 'argue'?meaning of joggingMeaning of "he radio play is on the air later tonight""looked at" vs "looked up to"what does the word dreading mean?question about "what"what does cling and clung mean?What does the phrasal verb 'get along' mean?difference between 'fortell' and 'forcast'what is the meaning of the idiom dress down?Expression: to make a phone call home