Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

comprising the best result ever attained
perishable
usual
record
awesome
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why do you use word "stuck" when the word "adhered"?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Is quite simply | Stuffed shirt
listening exercisestell a friend
Why do you use word "stuck" when the word "adhered"? #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 17, 2004 18:05 pm   Why do you use word "stuck" when the word "adhered"?

Test No. incompl/inter-39 "Yes, Yes, Yes", question 4

I know that they have all abandoned you one by one but I hope you won't forget I've ......... by you from the beginning.

(a) adhered
(b) fastened
(c) joined
(d) stuck

Test No. incompl/inter-39 "Yes, Yes, Yes", answer 4

I know that they have all abandoned you one by one but I hope you won't forget I've stuck by you from the beginning.

Correct answer: (d) stuck

Hello Alan and Torsten. Why do you use word "stuck" when the word "adhered" is appropriate too?
Terminator :evil:
Terminator
You can meet me at english-test.net

Adhere to somebody and stick to somebody and stand by #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 17, 2004 18:31 pm   Adhere to somebody and stick to somebody and stand by

Dear Terminator,

When you stick by somebody you support and help them. You probably know how tricky phrasal verbs can be - 'to stick by' means almost the same as 'to stand by someone'. Both are phrasal verbs.

A more formal expression with similar meanig is 'to adhere to somebody' but you have to use the verb 'adhere' with the preposition to not by.

I know that they have all abandoned you one by one but I hope you won't forget I've stuck by you from the beginning.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Getting water
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Adhere to somebody and stick to somebody and stand by #3 (permalink) Tue Feb 17, 2004 19:01 pm   Adhere to somebody and stick to somebody and stand by

Thank you .

Terminator. :evil:
Terminator
You can meet me at english-test.net

Is quite simply | Stuffed shirt
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Is there such an expression?Tip into recessionHe's looking for two pucks, what's he looking for exactly?I can lend you some money until the end of the monthIt's very hot: It's scorchingWhat does fetch mean?Unknowing, unawareWill be of no valueA sort of back watermeaning of "a sort of back number"Meaning of "Back handed compliment"Red-collar and blue collarConspiration twice