Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

regard; esteem; renown
picture
might
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Unless otherwise states-what does this mean?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Salty vs Saltish | Difference between "And" with "Or"
listening exercisestell a friend
Unless otherwise states-what does this mean? #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 01, 2008 16:44 pm   Unless otherwise states-what does this mean?

'' A passport is valid for ten years ,unless otherwise states'' -please give me the meaning of this sentence,especially ''unless otherwise states'' .
(I would be very grateful if you could explain exactly the meaning of ''unless otherwise states'' :o )

Unless otherwise states-what does this mean? #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 01, 2008 22:35 pm   Unless otherwise states-what does this mean?

I'm not a native English speaker, but I know the meaning of it.

It means that a password is valid (can be used) for ten years, unless otherwise states (unless there's some exception)
Dama
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Unless otherwise states-what does this mean? #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:52 am   Unless otherwise states-what does this mean?

Hi duc

I'd say your phrase has a typo. It should be "unless otherwise stated".

Unless otherwise states-what does this mean? #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:26 am   Unless otherwise states-what does this mean?

Yankee wrote:
Hi duc

I'd say your phrase has a typo. It should be "unless otherwise stated".

So can you explain more clearly why "unless otherwise stated" means "unless there's some exception" ?
Thanks in advance

Unless otherwise states-what does this mean? #5 (permalink) Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:03 am   Unless otherwise states-what does this mean?

It means "unless something different (a different length of time) is stated".

Is that enough explanation?

Salty vs Saltish | Difference between "And" with "Or"
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Relationship: The son (daughter) from my parent's brother is my cousinusage of "alert"Program Curriculum?Expression: "I felt like a stranger in his house."Expression: "He would never have a deal causing him loss."Expression: "It's an active word on my vocabulary."Expression: "After 15 years of learning English she ..."Can we use 'neighbourhood' as an adjective?Expression: "I didn't like the food from the outlook."difficulty v.s. difficultiesmake chores v.s. do choresVerb- some confusion.dehydration orvery thirsty