simple; basic
elemental
rational
obligatory
secret

Expression: "Help in doing something"

Grammar Assignment | Expression: "All this while most of the teacher's attention..."
Expression: "Help in doing something" #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 05, 2008 21:29 pm   Expression: "Help in doing something"

None of my dictionaries shows that "help in doing something" is also a possibility like "help to do something" or "help do something" , yet I have often seen it and heard it even from a native speaker. Could you please tell me if the said expression or the following sentences sound correct and natural to you?

1- He helped me in achieving my goal.
2- This book will help you in improving your vocabulary a great deal.

Expression: "Help in doing something" #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 06, 2008 0:25 am   Expression: "Help in doing something"

.
Yes, they sound fine.
.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: "Help in doing something" #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 15, 2008 18:59 pm   Expression: "Help in doing something"

Many thanks, MM

...but I would like to continue this discussion. There are more than 50 dictionaries in my college library, but all of them show the following in the entry of help.

Help (sb) to do something
Help (sb) do something

None of them shows "help somebody in doing something". My book of prepositins shows only to with help. Why?

Please see results from Ms. Google.

"helped him in finding"

"helped him to find"

"helped him find"

Could you please shed some more light on this?

I would be grateful,

Expression: "Help in doing something" #4 (permalink) Tue Apr 15, 2008 22:38 pm   Expression: "Help in doing something"

.
It still sounds OK to me.
.
_________________

Expression: "Help in doing something" #5 (permalink) Tue Apr 15, 2008 22:42 pm   Expression: "Help in doing something"

Would you have a problem with these, Tom?

In doing his homework, he needs help.
In improving your vocabualry, these books will help.
In achieving her goals, she receives help.
Molly

Expression: "Help in doing something" #6 (permalink) Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:59 am   Expression: "Help in doing something"

Hi Tom

I'd say that you'll hear 'help in doing' primarily when the word 'help' is a noun.
.
_________________

Expression: "Help in doing something" #7 (permalink) Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:45 am   Expression: "Help in doing something"

Yankee wrote:
Hi Tom

.

As with "success in doing".
Molly

Expression: "Help in doing something" #8 (permalink) Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:09 pm   Expression: "Help in doing something"

.
Exactly, Molly. But don't pay too much attention to my input. It seems some people here would rather not have input about usage. :wink:
.
_________________

Help me make the words outExpression: "His height is a little less than mine."Expression: "It dates back to 500 years ago."Some lines from Mickey SpillanePhrase "a matter of time"have been developed vs were developedEssay: Economy as well as politics, social activity is an important part of...No one wants to have extra homework tonight, ...?Pronunciation of some words.Expression: "Much to her dismay, every bit of..."Expression: "No matter how much it rains..."Expression: "Do write to me how you liked the..."Expression: "He likes to keep things..."