Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

condition; circumstance; location; position; job; place of employment
situation
match
good
simple
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Help with condition sentence (The company will well make a profit next year)

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Special usage of HELP? | severe vs acute vs serious
listening exercisestell a friend
Help with condition sentence (The company will well make a profit next year) #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:41 am   Help with condition sentence (The company will well make a profit next year)

Hello,

Please read the exercise below carefully:

The company will well make a profit next year.

---> I wouldn't......

The answer is " I wouldn't be surprised if the company made a profit next year."
I wonder why we use the unreal condition sentence here but not "I won't be surprised..."
because according to the speaker the company will surely make a profit.So I think we can't use ''if the company made..." (it means this action is unreal ,will not occur) and it should be "if the company makes'' to express the possibility .

Help with condition sentence (The company will well make a profit next year) #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:50 am   Help with condition sentence (The company will well make a profit next year)

Hi Duc,

The type of condition in the sentence apparently indicates a greater sense of caution but the key really is in the negative beginning: I wouldn't be surprised since in a way this is a more commonly used expression than I won't be surprised. The way you could make it appear more positive would be to reverse the sentences and say: I will (I'll) be surprised if the company doesn't make a profit.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Help with condition sentence (The company will well make a profit next year) #3 (permalink) Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:55 am   Help with condition sentence (The company will well make a profit next year)

duc wrote:
The company will well make a profit next year.
That sentence sounds extremely unnatural to me, duc. Are you sure your book used 'will'?

Help with condition sentence (The company will well make a profit next year) #4 (permalink) Sun Apr 06, 2008 13:43 pm   Help with condition sentence (The company will well make a profit next year)

It did really , I must say I took it from the Olympic exam question collection (an exam that takes place in my country Vietnam)

Help with condition sentence (The company will well make a profit next year) #5 (permalink) Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:17 am   Help with condition sentence (The company will well make a profit next year)

i agree to Alan,furthermore,I think the sentence use'will well' that means this is likely to happen.You say this is an unreal condition sentence, that's wrong.To the best of my knowledge,this type condition has another special usage.You call it 'unreal' because your teacher influences you so much but she maybe doesn't want to teach you a so high level structure.It's my own view.
Thang77
You can meet me at english-test.net

Help with condition sentence (The company will well make a profit next year) #6 (permalink) Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:55 am   Help with condition sentence (The company will well make a profit next year)

Thank you for all your helpful reply :D
And Thang,can you give me more about this special usage?
Thanks in advance :D

Special usage of HELP? | severe vs acute vs serious
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Expression "made it sure..."Usage of 'found'Correction: 'You will prepare curry yourself' vs 'You will make curry yourself'Query: The speaker is very well-acquainted with the subject.what does "cut" mean here?Problem with structure: Although she shouted, she could not make her voice hearWhat does "yielding" mean in this context?Where or what!stakeholder vs. shareholderSome more questions about the last two stories of Jungle BookDoubt! (It's too hot today that this fan is...)question for answer 3 vs. question to answer 3customer retention vs. customer relations