pertaining to the commercial center of a city
downtown
yearly
beneficent
compatible

difference between 'as though' as 'as if'.

The amount of air fares or air flight | Real difference between simple present and continuous
difference between 'as though' as 'as if'. #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 09, 2008 23:22 pm   difference between 'as though' as 'as if'.

if possible could you explain the difference between 'as though'and 'as if'.please with a few examples.Thank you in advance.
there is something more.although i am a member of your cite,still i can't manage to ask something asked before.what can i do for it.

paradigma
paradigma

difference between 'as though' as 'as if'. #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:49 am   difference between 'as though' as 'as if'.

There is no difference between "as though" and "as if". They mean the same thing. You can say both of these sentences:

"He acts as though he were the boss."
"He acts as if he were the boss."

Or less formally:

"He acts as though he's the boss."
"He acts as if he's the boss."

The sentences all mean the same thing.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
difference between 'as though' as 'as if'. #3 (permalink) Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:50 am   difference between 'as though' as 'as if'.

Or:

"He acts as though he was the boss."
"He acts as if he was the boss."

How about "like"?

"he acts like he were/is/was..."
Molly

difference between 'as though' as 'as if'. #4 (permalink) Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:58 pm   difference between 'as though' as 'as if'.

.
I wouldn't expect a sentence such as "He acts like he were the boss." to be commonly used. To me, were sounds out of place in the sentence.
.
_________________

"Like" #5 (permalink) Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:47 am   "Like"

"As if/though" shouldn't be used if the phrase after includes a verb (or new verb). Hardcore grammarians also say not to use "like" if the following phrase does include a verb (or new verb).

"Like" examples;

He acts like a new boss. (Correct)
He acts as if a new boss. (Incorrect)

My car is fast like a turtle. (Correct)
My car is fast as though a turtle. (Incorrect)

Masochists love grammar like Sadists love to teach it. (Correct, because even though there is a verb in the phrase after, a new verb was not introduced.)
Masochists love grammar as though Sadists love to teach it. (Incorrect, unless you meant to infer that Sadists don't teach grammar.)

As if/though Examples;

He acts as if he is the new boss. (Correct)
He acts like he is the new boss. (Incorrect to some, but accepted by many)

I practice grammar as though I am a masochist. (Correct)
I practice grammar like I am a masochist. (Incorrect, but becoming more accepted)
Azollo

Sentence structure: I'm a very busy person as I'm sure u are as well"since we knew" vs "since have known"How does reading news paper help in improve English?Choosing between "of" and "off"Sentence: We can assist you in the preparation of the above said documents...Difference between warranty, guarantee and maintenanceMore and more ... where should I put these?difference between acronym, abbreviation and initialSuccor me! (Usage of "since then")3 days in advance the court dateexpression "be taken of the situation"meaning of "Depressed Fittings"buy vs. purchase