preoccupied; lost in thought
absent
urban
hard
fair

Grammar Assignment

Revenue vs. turnover | Expression: "Help in doing something"
Grammar Assignment #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:24 am   Grammar Assignment

I need to find the mistake in the following sentence:

"By the time he had blurted these words his English had begun to labour as if he were interpreting from other languages in his head. Yet, he was possessing no other languages, no Russian, no Polish, no Turkish, no French."

My initial respons was that "had begun", should be "began", i.e. not past progressive, but simple past....but i'm not sure!

Any ideas????
Ac

Grammar Assignment #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:40 am   Grammar Assignment

My suggestions in bold type:

"By the time he had blurted out these words, his English began to labour as if he were interpreting from other languages in his head. Yet, he possessed no other languages, no Russian, no Polish, no Turkish, no French."

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Help me make the words outExpression: "His height is a little less than mine."Expression: "It dates back to 500 years ago."Some lines from Mickey Spillanehave been developed vs were developedEssay: Economy as well as politics, social activity is an important part of...No one wants to have extra homework tonight, ...?Pronunciation of some words.Expression: "Much to her dismay, every bit of..."Expression: "She is the worst cook, at best."Expression: "No matter how much it rains..."Expression: "Do write to me how you liked the..."Expression: "All this while most of the teacher's attention..."