Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

preferred; beloved; liked
stipendiary
sufficient
warning
favorite
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"had had" and "have had" usage

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
ride vs drive | Rude about vs rude to?
listening exercisestell a friend
"had had" and "have had" usage #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 18, 2008 0:24 am   "had had" and "have had" usage

Hi

Can anyone tell me how and when to use 'had had' and "have had"?

Thank you
Seansu
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

"had had" and "have had" usage #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:49 am   "had had" and "have had" usage

Use had had for the earlier of two past actions; use have had for a recent action or one continuing to the present.

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
"had had" and "have had" usage #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:01 pm   "had had" and "have had" usage

could you provide me some examples?

thank you
Seansu

"had had" and "have had" usage #4 (permalink) Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:38 pm   "had had" and "have had" usage

HAD HAD and HAVE HAD.

"had had" and "have had" usage #5 (permalink) Fri Apr 18, 2008 15:45 pm   "had had" and "have had" usage

Better to explain the present perfect as ............

"Have had" has nothing to do with the action itself, but the time you are talking about.

For instance

I drove a car - the action has finished and the time I am talking about has finished..
I have driven a car - this action has also finished, but the time I am talking about is from a time in the past to NOW and not specifically the time of the action itself.

Likewise, I "have had" a lot of luck ... the being "having luck" does not continue into the present.. The luck may have ended many moons ago.

Also, for many people the use of the term "the present" can be very confusing when learning a language and they often confuse it with NOW. Naturally we all know that the present is not really NOW, or is it? (smile)

But who am I to correct the legends of the past (laughing)

Rob
HamburgEnglish
I'm here quite often ;-)

"had had" and "have had" usage #6 (permalink) Fri Apr 18, 2008 16:36 pm   "had had" and "have had" usage

Yes, you are perfectly correct to say that in referring to the 'Present' doesn't necessarily mean 'now'.
Jps

ride vs drive | Rude about vs rude to?
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Can I pick your brains?grammar have sth doneIs 'lack of time' an idiom?the meaning of "pls"Vocabulary: When I can use Have or HAS in a question?Does this sentence make sense to you?come into the picture vs. come into playclose vs closedPost deaf, Razor sharp... (a speacial usage of noun and adjective?)"No matter" vs "It doesn't matter"Thanks for having me on?Does this conversation sound natural?Usage of 'intrude'