preferred; beloved; liked
stipendiary
sufficient
warning
favorite

"had had" and "have had" usage

ride vs drive | Rude about vs rude to?
"had had" and "have had" usage #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 18, 2008 0:24 am   "had had" and "have had" usage

Can anyone tell me how and when to use 'had had' and "have had"?

Thank you
Seansu

"had had" and "have had" usage #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:49 am   "had had" and "have had" usage

.
Use had had for the earlier of two past actions; use have had for a recent action or one continuing to the present.
.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
"had had" and "have had" usage #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:01 pm   "had had" and "have had" usage

could you provide me some examples?

thank you
Seansu

"had had" and "have had" usage #4 (permalink) Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:38 pm   "had had" and "have had" usage

.
HAD HAD and HAVE HAD.
.
_________________

"had had" and "have had" usage #5 (permalink) Fri Apr 18, 2008 15:45 pm   "had had" and "have had" usage

Better to explain the present perfect as ............

"Have had" has nothing to do with the action itself, but the time you are talking about.

For instance

I drove a car - the action has finished and the time I am talking about has finished..
I have driven a car - this action has also finished, but the time I am talking about is from a time in the past to NOW and not specifically the time of the action itself.

Likewise, I "have had" a lot of luck ... the being "having luck" does not continue into the present.. The luck may have ended many moons ago.

Also, for many people the use of the term "the present" can be very confusing when learning a language and they often confuse it with NOW. Naturally we all know that the present is not really NOW, or is it? (smile)

But who am I to correct the legends of the past (laughing)

Rob
HamburgEnglish

"had had" and "have had" usage #6 (permalink) Fri Apr 18, 2008 16:36 pm   "had had" and "have had" usage

Yes, you are perfectly correct to say that in referring to the 'Present' doesn't necessarily mean 'now'.
Jps

ride vs drive | Rude about vs rude to?
Can I pick your brains?grammar have sth doneIs 'lack of time' an idiom?the meaning of "pls"Vocabulary: When I can use Have or HAS in a question?Does this sentence make sense to you?come into the picture vs. come into playclose vs closedPost deaf, Razor sharp... (a speacial usage of noun and adjective?)"No matter" vs "It doesn't matter"Thanks for having me on?Does this conversation sound natural?Usage of 'intrude'