careful; cautious
town
curt
circumspect
limited

Can you give me an example of irony?

Who is uncle? | meaning of satire
Can you give me an example of irony? #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 21, 2008 19:24 pm   Can you give me an example of irony?

ESL/EFL Test #269 "Literary Terms (1)", question 1

When a writer says one thing but actually means or signifies the opposite, it's called ..........

(a) irony
(b) imagery
(c) action

ESL/EFL Test #269 "Literary Terms (1)", answer 1

When a writer says one thing but actually means or signifies the opposite, it's called irony.

Correct answer: (a) irony
_________________________

sample of irony?

ironic
ironic

Example of irony #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 21, 2008 20:16 pm   Example of irony

Your friend meets you at a nice restaurant in a dirty t-shirt and old, torn jeans. You then say, "I see you dressed up for the occasion!"
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Can you give me an example of irony? #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 21, 2008 20:25 pm   Can you give me an example of irony?

For example:
It must be delightful to find oneself in a foreign country without a penny in one's pocket.
Pamela

Location: RF

Can you give me an example of irony? #4 (permalink) Thu Apr 24, 2008 14:10 pm   Can you give me an example of irony?

incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs; "the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated"
a trope that involves incongruity between what is expected and what occurs

Yawn ... good morning world

:-)
HamburgEnglish

Can you give me an example of irony? #5 (permalink) Tue Jul 02, 2013 19:51 pm   Can you give me an example of irony?

Verbal irony

A stop sign ironically defaced with a plea not to deface stop signs.
_________________

Who is uncle? | meaning of satire
Meaning of "guise"?Test incompl/inter-274, Question 10Test incompl/inter-274, Question 10Test incompl/inter-274, Question 10for an agreed upon amountso I could have her call yousend a phone number by snail mail having written it on the handed piece of paperThe writer or author of verses is called a poet.I know it's hard, but you have to stick with itSmooth sailingWhat does household mean?Taking books to the librarian's daughter?difference between dither and distract