Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to put to practical use; to take advantage of
acquire
introduce
utilize
observe
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does this mean: to feel like a fish out of the water?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does 'annoying' mean? | Will vs. would
listening exercisestell a friend
What does this mean: to feel like a fish out of the water? #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 23, 2008 13:59 pm   What does this mean: to feel like a fish out of the water?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #408 "Water Idioms", question 10

Their job as advisers was to pour oil on troubled waters -- means: ..........

(a) make things damper
(b) mix things better
(c) calm things down
(d) pick things up

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #408 "Water Idioms", answer 10

Their job as advisers was to pour oil on troubled waters -- means: calm things down.

Correct answer: (c) calm things down

what feel like fish out off water?

Fishy
Fishy

Fish out of water #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 23, 2008 16:53 pm   Fish out of water

Feeling very uncomfortable. A vegetarian would certainly feel like fish out of water in Iceland. Not aving the right environment to breath, eat or live.
Nanucbe
I'm here quite often ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What does this mean: to feel like a fish out of the water? #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:06 am   What does this mean: to feel like a fish out of the water?

Hi, Fishy

The idiom is "like a fish out of water". It means "Completely unfamiliar with one's surroundings or activity"
You can find the definition on many sites, particulary on this: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/like+a+fish+out+of+water

By the way, your nick name made me think of yet another fish phrase: There's something fishy going on here (I'm sure you can fish the definition of "fishy" out in a dictionary) :) :lol:
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does 'annoying' mean? | Will vs. would
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Which management skill do you require to persuade your employees if your...What's the meaning of saturday night special?What do the terms long/short horizon mean?trainees vs trainersabout vs. concerningmeaning of "keeps his nose clean"using the following words or subordinating conjuctions after, although, as...What's the difference between a folktale and an essay?difference between dressing down and dressing upmeaning of "Come down with"thinking of buying vs. thinking to buydrew a line vs. painted a lineIs raise cain an idiom?