to put to practical use; to take advantage of
acquire
introduce
utilize
observe

What does this mean: to feel like a fish out of the water?

What does 'annoying' mean? | Will vs. would
What does this mean: to feel like a fish out of the water? #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 23, 2008 13:59 pm   What does this mean: to feel like a fish out of the water?

ESL/EFL Test #408 "Water Idioms", question 10

Their job as advisers was to pour oil on troubled waters -- means: ..........

(a) make things damper
(b) mix things better
(c) calm things down
(d) pick things up

ESL/EFL Test #408 "Water Idioms", answer 10

Their job as advisers was to pour oil on troubled waters -- means: calm things down.

Correct answer: (c) calm things down
_________________________

what feel like fish out off water?

Fishy
Fishy

Fish out of water #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 23, 2008 16:53 pm   Fish out of water

Feeling very uncomfortable. A vegetarian would certainly feel like fish out of water in Iceland. Not aving the right environment to breath, eat or live.
Nanucbe

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What does this mean: to feel like a fish out of the water? #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:06 am   What does this mean: to feel like a fish out of the water?

Hi, Fishy

The idiom is "like a fish out of water". It means "Completely unfamiliar with one's surroundings or activity"
You can find the definition on many sites, particulary on this: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/like+a+fish+out+of+water

By the way, your nick name made me think of yet another fish phrase: There's something fishy going on here (I'm sure you can fish the definition of "fishy" out in a dictionary) :) :lol:

Which management skill do you require to persuade your employees if your...What's the meaning of saturday night special?What do the terms long/short horizon mean?trainees vs trainersabout vs. concerningmeaning of "keeps his nose clean"using the following words or subordinating conjuctions after, although, as...What's the difference between a folktale and an essay?difference between dressing down and dressing upmeaning of "Come down with"thinking of buying vs. thinking to buydrew a line vs. painted a lineIs raise cain an idiom?