Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to ascend; to up; to slope upward; to move upward gradually
profit
rely
climb
criticize
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Continue + infinitive or ing

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Wear - stative or dynamic? | differences between 'dull' and 'blunt'
listening exercisestell a friend
Continue + infinitive or ing #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 23, 2008 14:32 pm   Continue + infinitive or ing

I know there's little difference in meaning between the two structures: continue to do or continue doing. I came across the suggestion we normally use continue to when we are talking about a state, as opposed to an action. Is this correct or would the diffence be another one? Thank you
Monica
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Continue + infinitive or ing #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 23, 2008 14:53 pm   Continue + infinitive or ing

What I know is that "go on" which means the same is used with gerund when we cotinue what we have been doing,go on to is used when we start smth esle.
For instance
When I entered the foom she was reading a book,she greated me and went on reading.
After succeeding in writing historical novels she went on to write about her life.
Pljuchik
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Continue + infinitive or ing #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:25 am   Continue + infinitive or ing

I agree: We continue doing the same and continue to do (e.g. somebody continued his/her speech) something else

Wear - stative or dynamic? | differences between 'dull' and 'blunt'
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
what and when is "to be + V-ing" being used?$1,500 - one thousand (and) five hundred dollarsUsage of 'mortally'Usage of 'absolutely'"What is the matter with you?" - Is it right?Usage of delay(ed)Oracle employees? Is that correctUsage of way, means, approach, methodHow do you pronunce 'digest'?picked up an extension?usage of a few idiomstaken off the tableDoes the word 'superpower' require the article 'a'?