equipment; device for lifting and lowering objects
minority
measure
requirement
tackle

"reference letter" vs "recommendation letter"

Am I correct at understanding following? | Maybe
"reference letter" vs "recommendation letter" #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:57 am   "reference letter" vs "recommendation letter"

What is the difference between "reference letter" and "recommendation letter"

Thanks a lot
Nessie
_________________
:(... something we never have again, I know... I guess I really really know.. :(

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

"reference letter" vs "recommendation letter" #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:51 pm   "reference letter" vs "recommendation letter"

letter of reference - a letter containing information about you that is written by someone who knows you well, and is usually intended for a new employer
letter of recommendation - (especially American English) a formal letter or statement saying that someone would be a suitable person to do a job, take a course of study etc
I think, it's the same, but I'm not sure.
And I want to add Covering Letter to your list of letters. What is it?
_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
"reference letter" vs "recommendation letter" #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:34 am   "reference letter" vs "recommendation letter"

Thanks a lot, Inga,
And if you are not sure either, let's wait for some native speakers' ideas.

Please help us clarify the difference among "reference letter"/ "recommendation letter"/ "covering letter"
Many thanks once again
Nessie
_________________

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

"reference letter" vs "recommendation letter" #4 (permalink) Fri May 02, 2008 17:06 pm   "reference letter" vs "recommendation letter"

Could anybody please answer me?

Thanks a lot
Nessie
_________________

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

"reference letter" vs "recommendation letter" #5 (permalink) Fri May 02, 2008 18:44 pm   "reference letter" vs "recommendation letter"

I don't see the difference between reference letter and recommendation letter. But I know what the covering letter is. Is is the letter where you describe why you want to work for this or that company, employee etc. accordingly your degree and previus or relative backgrounds. Which opportunities that position gives you. But it is only as I know.
_________________
We are what we repeatedly do.
Tilt

Location: Russia Saint-Petersburg

"reference letter" vs "recommendation letter" #6 (permalink) Fri May 02, 2008 19:30 pm   "reference letter" vs "recommendation letter"

Hi Nessie,

'A reference' is often used to describe information about the suitability of someone for a particular post/job/position. An employer will ask someone who wants to work for them to give written and signed documents that give an indication of what the person is like who is applying for the job. 'A recommendation' is sometimes information that will act as a sort of introduction if an individual wants to establish contact with a person who may be able to help in their future career.

_________________

"reference letter" vs "recommendation letter" #7 (permalink) Sat May 03, 2008 14:34 pm   "reference letter" vs "recommendation letter"

Hi Alan,
First of all, thanks a lot for your help :)

And next, please tell me who are supposed to write a reference letter and who a recommendation letter. Besides, acording to Tilt's explaination, I think the two term "reference letter" and "covering letter" are so much alike (+_+) May I have your clarification, Alan?
Many thanks :)

To Tilt:
Thank you very much for your idea, Tilt ;)
_________________

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

"reference letter" vs "recommendation letter" #8 (permalink) Sun May 04, 2008 17:54 pm   "reference letter" vs "recommendation letter"

Nessie, it is not my idea, it is a common using.
_________________
We are what we repeatedly do.
Tilt

Location: Russia Saint-Petersburg

"reference letter" vs "recommendation letter" #9 (permalink) Sun May 04, 2008 20:32 pm   "reference letter" vs "recommendation letter"

Hi Nessie

If you are applying for a job, for example, a letter of reference and a letter of recommendation would be letters not written by you. In other words, someone else would have written these for you, based on their knowledge of you personally and/or professionally.

A cover(ing) letter, however, is a short introduction of yourself written by you. This letter is generally sent to a prospective employer with your resume/CV.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_letter
.
_________________

"reference letter" vs "recommendation letter" #10 (permalink) Wed May 07, 2008 16:47 pm   "reference letter" vs "recommendation letter"

So, there is no difference between a letter of reference and a letter of recommendation?
_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

"reference letter" vs "recommendation letter" #11 (permalink) Wed May 07, 2008 17:55 pm   "reference letter" vs "recommendation letter"

Hi Inga

Yes, there is a difference between a letter of recommendation and a letter of reference. However, that had already been covered by you and Alan.

Nessie asked about a 'cover(ing) letter' afterwards.
.
_________________

job applications #12 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:22 am   job applications

when you apply for a job, you will need a few different types of documents.

if they ask you to fill out an application form (no resume), you only need to send that. you may want to include a cover letter if you have time (see #1 below)

if they ask you to send a resume, you should send the following:
    1. a cover letter -- this is a formal self-introduction. briefly tell them who you are, why you want the job, and why you're a good candidate. this is especially good for areas your resume doesn't cover. it's also useful when you don't have much experience related to this particular job.
    2. a resume -- be sure to highlight parts of previous jobs, volunteer experience, and education that are relevant to THIS job
    3. a list of references (optional) -- this is just a list of names, titles, and contact information for people who would be able to say good things about you, usually former bosses, supervisors, teachers, co-workers, etc. be sure to ask permission before listing anyone's name or conact information on this list.
    NOTE: i personally do not include #3 when i apply for a job. instead, i write, "References available upon request." this way, i can notify my references before they are contacted without having to bother them and ask permission to use their name EVERY time i apply to a new job.

i think letters of recommendation and letters of reference mean the same thing. they are letters written by someone who can speak about your previous experience or your ability to succeed in some academic, volunteer, or work environment. you do not have to provide these unless asked. often times, they are unnecessary, as many employers prefer calling your references. if you do provide them, however, be sure they are from someone who knows you well enough to talk about you! what are your strong points? how did you improve while you worked/volunteered with them? why would you be good for the job you are applying to? (e.g., if it is in a "fast-paced environment," they may say something like, "He works well in stressful situations and is skilled in the art of multi-tasking.") what is unique about you? -- questions like this should be covered in their letter. sometimes, you will be asked to provide "sealed" reference/recommendation letters. these should be in a sealed envelope, and the writer should sign over the sealed part. do not open these letters before sending them to your future employer. NOTE: i always ask the writer to give me a copy if they don't mind. this way, i can see what they say before deciding to send the letter to my future employer.

good people to write reference/recommendation letters:
    a former (or current) boss
    a former (or current) job supervisor
    a former (or current) volunteer supervisor
    a former (or current) teacher
    a former (or current) co-worker

letters from these people aren't as useful (unless your future employer specifically asks you to get one from them):
    family
    boyfriend/girlfriend or partner
    friends

i know it's late, but i hope that helps!!

j

by the way, i'm a native speaker (usa).
Jeni007

job applications #13 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:07 am   job applications

God forbid! Thank you very much =) It's not late!
_________________
We are what we repeatedly do.
Tilt

Location: Russia Saint-Petersburg

improve grammer as well as speking and writing communication #14 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 am   improve grammer as well as speking and writing communication

i want to improve my english and communication
Olvira

"reference letter" vs "recommendation letter" #15 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:36 pm   "reference letter" vs "recommendation letter"

Hello, Olvira, let me think, we all here would like to improve our english. You're very welcome, there is a warm climat and a lot of opportunities for improving english skills!

Best regards,
_________________
We are what we repeatedly do.
Tilt

Location: Russia Saint-Petersburg

feelRaiseidiomsChances are slim"I will" or "will I"out of nowhereCould you identify a word funtioning in a given topics ? If yes,you are great !!!I'd like to know the part of speech of "what".Please why -on the morning ?family reston or insince 2:00up to/what's up