notice; warning; caveat; carefulness; premonition
central
present
passport
caution

No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing?

Do you guys ever say 'Have I really got to go?' | usage of the verb 'look'
No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing? #1 (permalink) Mon May 05, 2008 10:22 am   No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing?

I remember hearing from someone that "etc" and "so on" shouldn't be used in formal writing. Is this idea right or wrong? And if it is right, then which word should be used in these cases when we need to express that idea?

Many thanks in advance
Nessie :)
_________________
:(... something we never have again, I know... I guess I really really know.. :(

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing? #2 (permalink) Mon May 05, 2008 15:25 pm   No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing?

This is absolutely correct. There is no "magic word" that works as a substitute, largely because the reader should not be left to guess what might or might not be on your list. If you are absolutely forced into a sentence where you want to use "etc.," my suggestion would be to recast the sentence to say something like "Examples include A, B, and C."

I hope this helps!

Rick
RickInAlbi

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing? #3 (permalink) Sat May 10, 2008 14:43 pm   No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing?

Hi Rick,
Thanks a lot for your help, but could you please be a little bit more specific about your suggestion? I still wonder what we can use in such cases...
_________________

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing? #4 (permalink) Sat May 10, 2008 23:08 pm   No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing?

Example:

I would use lots of bright colors, such as lemon yellows and neon blues, in this room. (Using "such as" instead of e.g., or etc.)

Many of America's finest authors, including Hemingway and Fitzgerald, wrote about their personal experiences. (using "including" instead of e.g., or etc.)

I hope this helps.

Rick
RickInAlbi

No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing? #5 (permalink) Sun May 11, 2008 17:59 pm   No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing?

Er... I'm not very sure about that, Rick.
Thank you very much for your help but I don't really mean that. Please have a look at this sentence:

Everyday she has to do a lot of things such as cleaning the house, cooking the meals, collecting the children, etc/ and so on.

=> In the above sentence, if we can't use "etc" or "so on", then what should we use to fully express the idea?
_________________

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing? #6 (permalink) Mon May 12, 2008 13:03 pm   No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing?

I would write "such as cleaning the house, cooking, the meals, and collecting the children." The use of "such as" tells the reader you are not making a complete list, and the reader will know that she has other similar tasks to do. The words "such as," in other words, means exactly the same things as "etc." and "and so on."
RickInAlbi

No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing? #7 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 0:54 am   No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing?

That's exactly what I want to state, Rick. What if I want to make an incomplete list? what can I use?
Sorry but I don't think "such as" mean exactly the same as "etc" and "so on"...
_________________

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing? #8 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 9:37 am   No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing?

I am terribly sorry to disagree with you, but as a native English speaker with seven years of college and a degree in law, and as a teacher of English, I have to insist that my use of the language here is correct, and that there is no significant difference between "etc." and the phrasing I provided. Please take it to another native English speaker who teaches English if you want a second opinion.

If you are looking for another turn of phrase, you could use the legalistic and wordy ''including but not limited to" phrase that lawyers often put in contracts to express the idea that the list of items mentioned is nonexhaustive.

Have you looked up the meaning of "such as" and "etc." in a dictionary? I think you will see that you are in error.

Rick
RickInAlbi

No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing? #9 (permalink) Wed May 14, 2008 3:28 am   No "etc" or "so on" in formal writing?

Hi Rick,

I don't ever mean not to believe you. I just stated my idea :P
And I'm very grateful for your enthusiastic help :)

Many many thanks once again :)
Nessie
_________________

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

What does turnmoil mean?What does "big chesses" mean?tenses of to "buy"usage of "deny"share together?at the latest"will" in conditional type 1usage of "make"focus in onThe usage of future perfect tensePrepositions in or on"that" (The winter of New York is much severer than that of Tokyo.)Usage of "to help and help"