Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to use; to apply; to employ; to control; to channel
brief
harness
clip
collect
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

knowledge or knowledges?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Arranged an encounter at a specific time [Explanation for 'made an appointment?] | to get one over on
listening exercisestell a friend
knowledge or knowledges? #1 (permalink) Mon May 05, 2008 23:27 pm   knowledge or knowledges?

What is the difference between "knowledge" and "knowledges"?
And can You give a few samples of the usage of each of them?
Thank You.
Nata

knowledge or knowledges? #2 (permalink) Tue May 06, 2008 1:58 am   knowledge or knowledges?

Knowledge is uncountable.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
knowledge or knowledges? #3 (permalink) Wed May 07, 2008 20:00 pm   knowledge or knowledges?

Thank You for your answer, but there are cases where "knowledges" is used.
In relation to the countable / uncountable distinction, it may be of stylistic relevance, in your analysis of a passage, to ask the question whether it is possible for the writer, character, or speaker to use an uncountable noun instead of a countable one, or vice versa. We may also note here that there are some uncountable nouns which are treated as countable in recent English. Words such as 'knowledges' and 'imageries' have appeared in the plural form (and are therefore regarded as countable, although they are traditionally treated as uncountable in English): you may ask yourselves if any stylistic significance is achieved by doing this.
Nata

knowledge or knowledges? #4 (permalink) Wed May 07, 2008 22:35 pm   knowledge or knowledges?

Knowledge is uncountable.

knowledge or knowledges? #5 (permalink) Thu May 08, 2008 3:42 am   knowledge or knowledges?

Hi Nata

I agree with MM that the word 'knowledge' is uncountable.

Nevertheless, I did a search of the NY Times for the word 'knowledges'. There were a few results, but of those, some were actually misspellings or hyphenations of the word 'acknowledges', some seemed to be simple typos, and some appeared to be in texts written by non-native speakers of English. That left just a handful of 'knowledges' and it seemed that what the authors generally meant was 'types of knowledge'.

If I were you, I would not use the word 'knowledge' as a plural. Stick with the traditional, uncountable usage.

knowledge or knowledges? #6 (permalink) Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:21 am   knowledge or knowledges?

Hello Yankee,

i`m not shure if i understand, how can i use the word "knowledge" as a plural ? A lot of languages have plural for this word, i think this is the miss understanding or the translation is wrong. In my language ( romanian ) the meaning of knowledge means "all informations about", if we have only one information this means we have "a knowledge about" ( only one ), if we have more informations, we have "knowledges about"... :)

Thank you,
Nireve

knowledge or knowledges? #7 (permalink) Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:53 am   knowledge or knowledges?

Hi Nireve,

The following words don't exist in English:
'i', 'onli', 'informations', 'knowledges'. So please stop using them. Instead, you should start using a spell checker.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Farmland
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

knowledge or knowledges? #8 (permalink) Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:00 pm   knowledge or knowledges?

Torsten,

if i say "i have information about you", how you will know if a have one or more than one ?
Nireve

knowledge or knowledges? #9 (permalink) Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 pm   knowledge or knowledges?

You can say 'a piece of information' or 'a piece of advice'.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Fishing at the ocean shore
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

knowledge or knowledges? #10 (permalink) Fri Mar 16, 2012 13:34 pm   knowledge or knowledges?

Nireve wrote:
if i say "i have information about you", how you will know if a have one or more than one ?
In English, "information" is uncountable. It is therefore impossible to refer to "one information" or "more than one information". If you do want to express what you think of as "one information", then, As Torsten says, you have to say "one piece of information", "one item of information", or something like that.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

knowledge or knowledges? #11 (permalink) Fri Mar 16, 2012 13:46 pm   knowledge or knowledges?

Torsten, Dozy, thank you for explanations.
Nireve

knowledge or knowledges? #12 (permalink) Fri Mar 16, 2012 21:54 pm   knowledge or knowledges?

Nireve wrote:
Torsten, Dozy, thank you for the/your/these explanations.

You're welcome.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Jogging
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

knowledge or knowledges? #13 (permalink) Thu Apr 12, 2012 15:45 pm   knowledge or knowledges?

Knowledges is an expression that has been used especially in the context of multicultural issues. Using the plural is actually a statement against a conception of knowledge as static, monochromatic. If you search the web for expressions like "indigenous knowledges", "situated knowledges" and "subjugated knowledges" you'll find lots of occurrences.

I don't speak/read French (so I don't know if the plural for knowledge exists in this language"), but my guess is that translations of Foucault's work might have been among the first occurrences of it in English.
Clopes

knowledge or knowledges? #14 (permalink) Thu Apr 12, 2012 17:41 pm   knowledge or knowledges?

Clopes wrote:
Knowledges is an expression that has been used especially in the context of multicultural issues. Using the plural is actually a statement against a conception of knowledge as static, monochromatic. If you search the web for expressions like "indigenous knowledges", "situated knowledges" and "subjugated knowledges" you'll find lots of occurrences.

As Yankee says in the message earlier in this thread, these refer to 'types of knowledge'.
Language Coach

knowledge or knowledges? #15 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:17 pm   knowledge or knowledges?

"Knowledges" comes essentially from bad translation of French: specifically Foucault. In Latin languages it is perfectly normal to use the plural. I know Portuguese best and the word "conhecimentos" is perfectly common.
Foucault, however, uses it to define a relative position of knowledge, i.e., knowledge is never absolute - there are different perspectives, ways of seeing which may all contain elements of truth. The idea is clearer if we think of Foucault's idea that statements about reality are discourses, which means that even statesments which should be patently obvious such as "little Jimmy has a temperature" become questionable because they come from specific social/historical circumstances.
In English "knowledges" is pretentious. It implies that the user of such terms has more knowledge than we mortals who thought the word did not exist but were wrong. There are a host of other Foucauldian aberrations floating about - "power/knowledge" as a new word is the most obvious.
I think maybe people are intimidated by the rubbish Foucault wrote, but it is not all his fault. Bad translation does not help - Sheridan translates "espèces" as "spaces" in "Birth of the Clinic" (p.20). All very confusing but good for the pseudes.
John V

Arranged an encounter at a specific time [Explanation for 'made an appointment?] | to get one over on
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
face down or his face down or with his face downSubject-verb agreementQuestion about Gerund and NounTwo 'Bracketed Ellipses' QuestionsBracketed second letter of word?as in the daysIn factories stand idle huge equipment which worked at full capacity earlier.'The Final 4' -- BPMaintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?]baby's coming/birth(at) any timefail in the exam vs. fail the examback then: back is a verb