Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person or organization that owns part of a company
liberal
shareholder
invention
opposite
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
it is important to consider | reluctance
listening exercisestell a friend
What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"? #1 (permalink) Sun May 11, 2008 0:52 am   What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #192 "Phrasal Verbs (D to F)", question 10

The couple ......... many forms before they could immigrate to England.

(a) filled
(b) filled about
(c) filled out

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #192 "Phrasal Verbs (D to F)", answer 10

The couple filled out many forms before they could immigrate to England.

Correct answer: (c) filled out

Your answer was: incorrect
The couple filled many forms before they could immigrate to England.

What are the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"?

Homy
Homy

What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"? #2 (permalink) Sun May 11, 2008 8:42 am   What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"?

No difference when used of forms.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"? #3 (permalink) Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:01 pm   What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"?

1. No difference when used of forms - I don't like: when used of forms?, what does it mean: used of forms? (not meaning of the words but the construction)
2. what is the difference between: 'fill up' anf 'fill out'

Many thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"? #4 (permalink) Sat Nov 12, 2011 13:12 pm   What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"?

1-- I'm sorry you don't like my English, but it is my native language, not yours. If you do a little thinking, Saneta, on my sentence ('No difference when used of forms'), what do you think 'of forms' means, considering that 'forms' is in the original test question?

2-- 'Fill up' is used of different 'containers' than 'fill out'. 'Fill up' is used for containers in which the contents are added from bottom to top ('I filled up my martini glass'; I filled up the car with ethyl') while 'fill out' is used with containers for which the contents are added from the center outward or from one side to another ('I filled out the cheque before I signed it'; 'Your wife is really filling out, isn't she?'

What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"? #5 (permalink) Sat Nov 12, 2011 15:14 pm   What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"?

1. No difference when used of forms.= No difference in using 'fill in' and 'fill out' concerning forms?

2.Very nice explanation!
Your wife is really filling out, isn't she?'= Your wife is really putting on weight, isn't she?'

Many thanks, Mr M.M.!!
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"? #6 (permalink) Sat Nov 12, 2011 15:24 pm   What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"?

1-- Right.
2-- Right.

it is important to consider | reluctance
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
This country has now adaptedpay a tolldifference between "pool" and "collect"Neverto work twelve-hour shiftsYou couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them?How is hard-pressed different from hard-core?What does 'cold hard cash' mean?Why use "distinction" in this sentence?Based on income?Phrase: Well, to be honest I've had a few problems recentlyMeaning of hard-bittenDo damage with the car vs. do damage to the car