place used by planes for takeoff and landing
inventory
event
airport
cost

What is the difference between "end" and "end up"?

Meaning of 'Executive Snack Route Consultant' | difference between "pool" and "collect"
What is the difference between "end" and "end up"? #1 (permalink) Sun May 11, 2008 1:02 am   What is the difference between "end" and "end up"?

ESL/EFL Test #192 "Phrasal Verbs (D to F)", question 6

After a lot of fuss, Rose ......... liking the new dish very much.

(a) ended up
(b) ended
(c) ended in

ESL/EFL Test #192 "Phrasal Verbs (D to F)", answer 6

After a lot of fuss, Rose ended up liking the new dish very much.

Correct answer: (a) ended up
_________________________

What is the difference between "End" and "End up",
thanks in advance

Nuria M
Nuria M

What is the difference between "end" and "end up"? #2 (permalink) Sun May 11, 2008 9:01 am   What is the difference between "end" and "end up"?

Hi Nuria,

'End' on its own obviously means 'finish' but by adding 'up' you offer more information. It still has the same idea of 'finish' but it also suggests that this conclusion/ending occurs after other things have happened as in:

First we thought we might go by boat but then we considered the possibility of going by air. Someone suggested going by car. By this time it was too late to go anywhere and we ended up staying at home!

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What is the difference between "end" and "end up"? #3 (permalink) Sun Sep 25, 2011 17:54 pm   What is the difference between "end" and "end up"?

Thanks for the share the meaning. It was my same doubt.
Moylopez

Location: San Diego CA USA

What is the difference between "end" and "end up"? #4 (permalink) Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:55 am   What is the difference between "end" and "end up"?

1.what does 'fuss' mean in this context?
2.is it correct?: ended up in a noun? (for example: in jail)
but
ended up doing sth?
why not: ended up in doing sth?

Many thanks

pay a tollreluctanceit is important to considerNeverto work twelve-hour shiftsYou couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them?How is hard-pressed different from hard-core?What does 'cold hard cash' mean?Why use "distinction" in this sentence?Based on income?What is the difference between "fill in" and "fill out"?Phrase: Well, to be honest I've had a few problems recentlyMeaning of hard-bitten