Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to record; to enroll; to have an effect; to have influence
ticket
registering
project
comment
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
I happen to be, (escape/ smuggle), should | lack vs shortage
listening exercisestell a friend
Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #1 (permalink) Sun May 11, 2008 7:30 am   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Hi,

Can someone please tell me the difference between the following two sentences and when each of them is used?

1) Can it get any worse?
2) Could it get any worse?

Also, should there be an exclamatory mark after the sentences?
Daemon99
I'm here quite often ;-)

can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #2 (permalink) Mon May 12, 2008 9:04 am   can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Both are OK. Also, question mark would be better for the both.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #3 (permalink) Mon May 12, 2008 9:52 am   can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

1) Can it get any worse? = Is there a real chance of it getting worse
2) Could it get any worse? = Is there a remote chance of it getting worse
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

difference of can and could #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:07 am   difference of can and could

Dear Sir,

please let me know the difference between can and could.

Regards
Manjula
Manjula.r

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #5 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:24 am   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

216 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hello,

Both 'can' and 'could' are verbs that refer to the possibility of doing something. The difference is that 'can' is more likely to happen and 'could' is less likely.

Look at these:

I can come to your house at 10 am tomorrow morning. This means that it is possible and there won't be any problems in doing this.

I could come to your house at 10 am tomorrow morning but it would be difficult because of the heavy traffic at that time of the day. This means that there is a possibility of my coming but it is not definite.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #6 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:39 am   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Please consider these sentences.
Can you just call after 10 mins? - Is it rude?
Could you just call after 10 mins? - Is it a polite way to use 'could' instead of 'can'?
Thanks
Deepi21
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #7 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:52 am   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

186 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hello,

I wouldn't call either 'rude'. 'Can' is more direct and 'could is a little more cautious. I would rephrase also:

Can you call back in about 10 minutes?

Could you call back in about 10 minutes?

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #8 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:14 pm   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Dear Alan,

Many Thanks.
Is it inappropriate to use 'after' there?
What if I add 'please' somewhere in those sentences?
Sorry, but I wonder if I could know the reason behind rephrasing those sentences.

Deepi
Deepi21

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #9 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:18 pm   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Hello,

'In' I think would be better because it suggests '10 minutes later'. 'Please' would be fine after 'Can/could you' I changed it so that it sounds more conversational.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #10 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:25 pm   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Dear Alan,

Thanks a lot.

Deepi
Deepi21

I happen to be, (escape/ smuggle), should | lack vs shortage
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Opposite to "Up to" limit/value: "Down from"?You still don't believe this/ You don't still believe this.Efficiency vs EffectivenessPrepositions used as adverbshave been or had been?Difference between jack, connector, plugin, plugGrammar check: Knowledge is not power. Practice of knowledge is not power.The first comeCan 'is' and 'are' coexist in a same sentence?Sentence: I'm sorry for stating it like this, i should have asked you before...Convict vs convictedCan language be fine, beautiful and exquisite?I want to learn how to rewite sentence.