to record; to enroll; to have an effect; to have influence
ticket
registering
project
comment

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

I happen to be, (escape/ smuggle), should | lack vs shortage
Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #1 (permalink) Sun May 11, 2008 7:30 am   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Can someone please tell me the difference between the following two sentences and when each of them is used?

1) Can it get any worse?
2) Could it get any worse?

Also, should there be an exclamatory mark after the sentences?
_________________
Non-native speaker of English
=================================
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.
Daemon99

can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #2 (permalink) Mon May 12, 2008 9:04 am   can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Both are OK. Also, question mark would be better for the both.
Haihao

Location: Japan

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #3 (permalink) Mon May 12, 2008 9:52 am   can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

1) Can it get any worse? = Is there a real chance of it getting worse
2) Could it get any worse? = Is there a remote chance of it getting worse
Molly

difference of can and could #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:07 am   difference of can and could

Dear Sir,

please let me know the difference between can and could.

Regards
Manjula
Manjula.r

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #5 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:24 am   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Both 'can' and 'could' are verbs that refer to the possibility of doing something. The difference is that 'can' is more likely to happen and 'could' is less likely.

Look at these:

I can come to your house at 10 am tomorrow morning. This means that it is possible and there won't be any problems in doing this.

I could come to your house at 10 am tomorrow morning but it would be difficult because of the heavy traffic at that time of the day. This means that there is a possibility of my coming but it is not definite.

_________________

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #6 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:39 am   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Please consider these sentences.
Can you just call after 10 mins? - Is it rude?
Could you just call after 10 mins? - Is it a polite way to use 'could' instead of 'can'?
Deepi21

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #7 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:52 am   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

I wouldn't call either 'rude'. 'Can' is more direct and 'could is a little more cautious. I would rephrase also:

Can you call back in about 10 minutes?

Could you call back in about 10 minutes?

_________________

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #8 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:14 pm   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Dear Alan,

Many Thanks.
Is it inappropriate to use 'after' there?
What if I add 'please' somewhere in those sentences?
Sorry, but I wonder if I could know the reason behind rephrasing those sentences.

Deepi
Deepi21

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #9 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:18 pm   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

'In' I think would be better because it suggests '10 minutes later'. 'Please' would be fine after 'Can/could you' I changed it so that it sounds more conversational.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?) #10 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:25 pm   Can vs could (Can it get any worse? vs Could it get any worse?)

Dear Alan,

Thanks a lot.

Deepi
Deepi21

Opposite to "Up to" limit/value: "Down from"?You still don't believe this/ You don't still believe this.Efficiency vs EffectivenessPrepositions used as adverbshave been or had been?Difference between jack, connector, plugin, plugGrammar check: Knowledge is not power. Practice of knowledge is not power.The first comeCan 'is' and 'are' coexist in a same sentence?Sentence: I'm sorry for stating it like this, i should have asked you before...Convict vs convictedCan language be fine, beautiful and exquisite?I want to learn how to rewite sentence.