obedient; submissive; obliging; yielding; acquiescent
tense
blanket
flawless
compliant

"will" in conditional type 1

"keep silence" vs "keep silent" | Prepositions in or on
"will" in conditional type 1 #1 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 14:27 pm   "will" in conditional type 1

My friend from New-Zealand told me that these usages of "will after "if"" are natural to him:

If you don't want to watch the movie, then go away, but if you will watch it, then you're welcome to stay.

He said that "will" emphasizes the idea.
Do you find this pattern natural sounding in your neck of the woods?

Thanks ! :)

"will" in conditional type 1 #2 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 14:45 pm   "will" in conditional type 1

Yes, and it's as old as the hills.

If you will bite your nails, please do it out of my sight!
If you will eat curry, you will get a bad stomach.

He will insist on coming round all the time.
Molly

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
"will" in conditional type 1 #3 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 15:17 pm   "will" in conditional type 1

Hi Alex

The use of 'will' that your friend was referring to is a usage that stresses your 'willingness' to do something (as opposed to something else). For example:

If you will just let me get a word in edgewise, I will explain it to you!

In other words 'you are not allowing me to talk, but if you stop talking and allow me to talk, I will be able to explain it to you.'

.

(By the way, I believe the Brits would use 'get a word in edgeways' in the sentence above -- but I'm not positive.)
.
_________________

"will" in conditional type 1 #4 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 15:25 pm   "will" in conditional type 1

It normally expresses obstinate insistence, which is usually habitual.

With Amy's, indirect form/"polite", offering, the obstinate insistence would be seen in the direct form:

e.g.

If you will prevent me getting a word in edgewise, I will not be able to explain it to you!
Molly

"will" in conditional type 1 #5 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 15:34 pm   "will" in conditional type 1

.
My example did not necessarily refer to habitual action (and neither did Alex's). Both refer to something the other person seems to be unwilling to do at the moment.
.
_________________

"will" in conditional type 1 #6 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 15:37 pm   "will" in conditional type 1

"Usually" means not always, doesn't it?
Molly

"will" in conditional type 1 #7 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 15:56 pm   "will" in conditional type 1

Alex's sentence did not fit your "usually" pattern. :wink:

I chose to address Alex's question more specifically.
.
_________________

"will" in conditional type 1 #8 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 16:38 pm   "will" in conditional type 1

Hi, Amy

Thanks a million :)

"will" in conditional type 1 #9 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 16:46 pm   "will" in conditional type 1

Yankee wrote:
.

You may be positive about that - I have a book with Brit idioms, and "to get a word in edgeways" is listed there among many other idioms.
By the way, the book contains this idiom "to go pear-shaped", which, according to the book, means "to go wrong". Today, in my English class, I asked the teacher (an American), if that idiom rings a bell to her, and she said he'd never heard of it.
It's funny how British and American idiomatic expressions vary.

"will" in conditional type 1 #10 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 19:48 pm   "will" in conditional type 1

Yankee wrote:

.

Call mine a bonus.
Molly

"will" in conditional type 1 #11 (permalink) Tue May 13, 2008 22:31 pm   "will" in conditional type 1

In BrE:

1. If you will spend all your time online, then no wonder you're fat.
implies persistence on the addressee's part; disapproval on the speaker's.

2. If you will just sign here, sir, I'll get your key.
implies deference on the speaker's part; willingness on the addressee's.

3. go pear-shaped
Yes, quite common in BrE. When planned things go wrong, they go pear-shaped.

4. get a word in edgeways
Yes, again quite common in BrE: usually in the negative ("I couldn't get a word in edgeways"). It implies mildly humorous exasperation on the part of the person who couldn't get the word in.

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

"will" in conditional type 1 #12 (permalink) Wed May 14, 2008 0:09 am   "will" in conditional type 1

Is that often heard in the strong form "you will"?
Molly

tenses of to "buy"usage of "deny"share together?at the latestvocabulary words: live, alive, lifeusage of the verb 'look'usage of "make"Forming conditionalsfocus in on"that" (The winter of New York is much severer than that of Tokyo.)Usage of "to help and help"When do we use proposition "THE"?Can I say "my listening skills"?