to emphasize; to accentuate
stress
change
license
compute

To be high and mighty

Difference between paper money and paper cash | It's about time, it's high time
To be high and mighty #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 25, 2005 15:38 pm   To be high and mighty

Test No. incompl/inter-56 "High and Low", question 5

Now that he's become office manager you can't even talk to him - he's so high and ..........

(a) mighty
(b) strong
(c) powerful
(d) severe

Test No. incompl/inter-56 "High and Low", answer 5

Now that he's become office manager you can't even talk to him - he's so high and mighty.

Correct answer: (a) mighty

Now that he's become office manager you can't even talk to him - he's so high and severe.
_________________________

Is "high and mighty" some kind of phrase or something. I think "severe" has more -ve connotation then "mighty" and the 1st part of sentence creates a ground for it.
Piyush

To be high and mighty #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 25, 2005 15:58 pm   To be high and mighty

To be high and mighty is an idiom. A person who is high and mighty thinks that they are more important than others and behaves in a bossy way.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Seamen on a sailing boat

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Not before timeQuestion tagsMust or have toDifference between borrow and lendWhat does this phrasal verb: to take over?You're really naughtyConditional IIDo not eat and don't eatTo bring something upPhrasal verb bring upWhat does this phrase mean: 'as of now'?Adjust a televisionWhat does it mean to be yellow? Coward or what?