Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

tool for cutting consisting of a toothed blade; saying; maxim; proverb
incinerator
haze
legacy
saw
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I myself am + adjective or noun?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Use of "ravel". | Toss vs Throw
listening exercisestell a friend
I myself am + adjective or noun? #1 (permalink) Thu May 22, 2008 18:49 pm   I myself am + adjective or noun?

Hi,
Please tell me if this sentence is correct:

I myself am your sister.

=> Actually, there seems to be nothing wrong with it (according to grammar rules I've studied) But the sentence sounds very odd to me... :shock:

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Is this sentence all right? #2 (permalink) Thu May 22, 2008 19:10 pm   Is this sentence all right?

Hi,

Why say that in the first place? Surely the sister knows that already!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Is this sentence all right? #3 (permalink) Thu May 22, 2008 19:48 pm   Is this sentence all right?

Alright then. Let me give another example:

=> Sorry I don't know that either. I myself am dumb.

Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I myself am + adjective or noun? #4 (permalink) Fri May 23, 2008 18:02 pm   I myself am + adjective or noun?

How about that, Alan?
What do you think about the sentence?

Many thanks
Nessie

Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I myself am + adjective or noun? #5 (permalink) Fri May 23, 2008 20:21 pm   I myself am + adjective or noun?

Hi Nessie,

Have you ever come across such a sentence? I mean, have you read a text where this phrase occurred or have you heard somebody use this phrase?

TOEIC listening, photographs: Seamen on a sailing boat
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

I myself am + adjective or noun? #6 (permalink) Fri May 23, 2008 20:37 pm   I myself am + adjective or noun?

Nessie is Vietnamese. I myself am American.

The word 'myself' can be used for emphasis.

I myself am + adjective or noun? #7 (permalink) Fri May 23, 2008 23:25 pm   I myself am + adjective or noun?

"I myself" is fine.

Here's an interesting example:

I myself I reckon she'll go back to London, because she's got absolutely nothing left to give here.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I myself am + adjective or noun? #8 (permalink) Sat May 24, 2008 1:48 am   I myself am + adjective or noun?

Is the second 'I' a repetition of the first?
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I myself am + adjective or noun? #9 (permalink) Sat May 24, 2008 4:45 am   I myself am + adjective or noun?

Torsten wrote:
Hi Nessie,

Have you ever come across such a sentence? I mean, have you read a text where this phrase occurred or have you heard somebody use this phrase?

=> That's why I ask this question, Torsten. I know it's all right according to grammar rules, but I've never come across it, so I wonder if people ever use it. (You know, I often hear "I am lazy myself", and not "I myself am lazy", so...)

Quote:
Nessie is Vietnamese. I myself am American.

The word 'myself' can be used for emphasis.

=> Thanks a lot, Amy :) I know "myself" can be used for emphasis, I just find the sentence a bit strange, so I wonder if it is used frequently.

Quote:
"I myself" is fine.

Here's an interesting example:

I myself I reckon she'll go back to London, because she's got absolutely nothing left to give here.

I know "I myself" is all right, Molly. I just find it strange when going with the verb "be". By the way, should we omit the second "I" in your sentence?

Many thanks
Nessie :)

Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I myself am + adjective or noun? #10 (permalink) Sat May 24, 2008 11:40 am   I myself am + adjective or noun?

Haihao wrote:
Is the second 'I' a repetition of the first?

I think the "I reckon" acts as a discourse marker there. Similar to "Personally, I think..."

I myself, I think... (discourse marker?)

Different?

I myself have been to ... many times
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I myself am + adjective or noun? #11 (permalink) Sat May 24, 2008 12:22 pm   I myself am + adjective or noun?

Thank you, Molly, for the tip.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I myself am + adjective or noun? #12 (permalink) Sun May 25, 2008 10:49 am   I myself am + adjective or noun?

Hi Molly,
I somehow find that discourse marker so strange. I made a search in the BNC and found no results for "I myself, I think"

Many thanks
Nessie
P.S: Should I say "results" or "result" in the above sentence?

Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I myself am + adjective or noun? #13 (permalink) Sun May 25, 2008 11:01 am   I myself am + adjective or noun?

no results is OK and I myself I reckon is OK as well though a little awkward.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I myself am + adjective or noun? #14 (permalink) Sun May 25, 2008 15:21 pm   I myself am + adjective or noun?

Hi Haihao,
If you find no results for the phrase and you just "feel" it right (but awkward), how can you be sure?

By the way, if both "results" and "result" are OK, then what's the difference between the 2 usages?
Many thanks
Nessie.

Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I myself am + adjective or noun? #15 (permalink) Sun May 25, 2008 15:51 pm   I myself am + adjective or noun?

nessie wrote:
Hi Molly,
I somehow find that discourse marker so strange. I made a search in the BNC and found no results for "I myself, I think"

Many thanks
Nessie
P.S: Should I say "results" or "result" in the above sentence?

There are two for "I myself I", with no comma.

I'd use "results" in that context.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Use of "ravel". | Toss vs Throw
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Latest topics on English Forums
Can a voice resemble another voiceSentence correction: My uncle advised me that we shouldn't be arrogant to the...Difference between said and toldExpression: "What time do you make it now?"Expression: "She speaks through nose."difference between "steal" and "iron"difference in use between "have to" and "must"misrelated participleambiguous or not?Usage of article: I'm expecting the call from a client in the Netherlands.Usage of wannait was the first time that OR whenWhat does "field a question" mean?