car; wagon; coach; carriage; trolley
cart
modification
commercial
shareholder

Present perfect and present perfect continuous

Full stop/period | To give somebody a black look
Present perfect and present perfect continuous #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:11 am   Present perfect and present perfect continuous

Test No. errors/inter-8 "Tenses", question 1

I have learn many things in my class today and now I can do my homework without any problems.

(a) learn
(b) things
(c) do
(d) any

Test No. errors/inter-8 "Tenses", answer 1

I have learned (learnt) many things in my class today and now I can do my homework without any problems.

Correct entry: learned (learnt)
The error was: (a) learn
_________________________

i would like explanation of present perfect and present perfect continuos.thanks
ali

Present perfect and present perfect continuous #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:28 pm   Present perfect and present perfect continuous

OK,

Maybe we should take this one step at a time. Let's start with the structure of the Present Perfect:

subject + auxiliary verb (form of have) + main verb (past participle)

Example:
I have sent you an email.

We use the present perfect if we want to make connection between an action that happened in the past and the present situation. (writing the email happened in the past while the result relates to the present).

TOEIC listening, photographs: A damaged building

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between should and wouldAdverbs of frequencyThey ended their relationshipStep up - to increaseIs this a subjunctive construction?Stand in queues and stand in linesDifference between surely and certainlyImaginary past or subjunctiveHe's been taken thereDifference between distinguished and extinguishedNot before timeQuestion tagsMust or have to