resident of a capital city; sophisticated big-city person
prospectus
incline
application
metropolitan

What does "field a question" mean?

Bargain vs moderate | it was the first time that OR when
What does "field a question" mean? #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:10 pm   What does "field a question" mean?

"VALENCIA - The defender of the "game portal with prizes" has spent two minutes fielding a volley of questions, when somebody in the room asks: "Where will the money come from?"'

[El Pais / Ignacio Zafra / Expatica]

What does "field a question" mean?
Molly

What does "field a question" mean? #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:35 pm   What does "field a question" mean?

It means to let people ask questions and to answer them. I think it probably comes from baseball, where there are three players who stand in the remote area called the outfield and catch balls that fly toward them.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What does "field a question" mean? #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:41 pm   What does "field a question" mean?

Jamie (K) wrote:

Would it be from cricket before that?
Molly

What does "field a question" mean? #4 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:51 pm   What does "field a question" mean?

Molly wrote:
Jamie (K) wrote:

Would it be from cricket before that?

I think that whatever game developed into baseball is as old as whatever game developed into cricket. Baseball didn't come from cricket. If you search for the exact phrase "field the ball" from UK websites, you get pages many sports, including baseball and rugby. The only way we can know anything is to see how old that usage of "field" actually is. If it's from the 1700s, there's just as good a chance it came from baseball as from cricket, and if it's from before that, it could have come from rounders.

What does "field a question" mean? #5 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 13:07 pm   What does "field a question" mean?

I think that whatever game developed into baseball is as old as whatever game developed into cricket. Baseball didn't come from cricket.

Yes, I know that, Jamie, but I was asking whether you thought the expreesion "field a question" existed before baseball.

Interesting:

The verb meaning "to stop and return the ball" is first recorded 1823, originally in cricket; figurative sense is from 1902.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=f&p=4
Molly

What does "field a question" mean? #6 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 14:46 pm   What does "field a question" mean?

Molly wrote:
Interesting:

I don't actually believe that source. I imagine they were just checking British sources. Notice that it says the meaning was "first recorded" in 1823. That doesn't mean first used. If it had been used only in association with cricket and only that late, then it would have crossed to America only in the figurative meaning and probably wouldn't be used in baseball. My guess is that the expression predates both baseball and cricket.

What does "field a question" mean? #7 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 18:01 pm   What does "field a question" mean?

My guess is that the expression predates both baseball and cricket.

I see. How old do you think "field a question" is?
Molly

Difference between said and toldExpression: "What time do you make it now?"misrelated participleambiguous or not?Usage of article: I'm expecting the call from a client in the Netherlands.Toss vs ThrowUse of "ravel".what is the difference between assets and wealthdefine "implex"Sentence correction: I didn't do deliberately.Usage of 'that of'native and non-native language using styleUsage of marks