thankfulness; appreciation
gratitude
rectangle
paradigm
span

Uses of "Too" and "Also"

Would you be so kind and help me correcting this document? | incredulous vs sceptical
Uses of "Too" and "Also" #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:24 am   Uses of "Too" and "Also"

Hello Teachers,

I have a problem with the uses of "Also" & "TOO".

A) How do they differ in meaning?

B) Where should I put them in a sentence when I use them to mean "in addition to someone/something else"?

C) What difference does it make if I use these words before & after verb?

Please help me
:?
Crazy

Uses of "Too & Also" #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:57 am   Uses of "Too & Also"

Teachers are on holidays :)
Let me introduce something that I found in my Practical English Usage (Swan) book:
Also, as well and too have similar meanings, but they do not go in the same position in clauses. Also usually goes with the verb, in 'mod-position', as well and too usually go at the end of a clause. As well is less common in American English.
She not only sings; she also plays the piano.
She not only sings; she plays the piano as well.
She not only sings; she plays the piano too.
_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Uses of "Too & Also" #3 (permalink) Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:04 pm   Uses of "Too & Also"

As well and too are used in imperatives and 'short answers', but not usually also.
Give me some bread as well, please. 'She is nice' 'Her sister is as well.' 'I've got a headache.' 'Me too.'
_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

Uses of "Too & Also" #4 (permalink) Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:13 pm   Uses of "Too & Also"

Hi Inga,

Thank you very much for your reply,But I still have some doubts.

1) If I want to say he plays piano & she too,how should I say it using also?

2) she also plays the piano.vs she plays the piano also.What is the difference in meaning?

Please help.
Crazy

Uses of "Too" and "Also" #5 (permalink) Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:53 am   Uses of "Too" and "Also"

Only the former is possible: she also plays the piano or she plays the piano as well.

He plays the piano. She also. (not common, I think) Chris came from England. Martin also.
He plays the piano. She plays (does) too.
I, too, have experienced despair.
Our vacation was a disaster: not only was the food terrible, the weather was awful as well.
And in informal speech you can use Me too as a short answer, or more formal equivalents So am (do) I, I am too.
Or just find some more examples (in your dictionary) and analyse them. :)
_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

Uses of "Too" and "Also" #6 (permalink) Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:54 am   Uses of "Too" and "Also"

Or just ask other teachers. There are plenty of them here. :)
_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

Uses of "Too" and "Also" #7 (permalink) Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:04 pm   Uses of "Too" and "Also"

Hi Inga,

Thank you very much for your reply,I request you to please help me once again.

If I want to say "She plays piano in addition to Guitar" how would I say it?
"She plays piano also" or "she plays piano too"

Please help.
Crazy

Uses of "Too" and "Also" #8 (permalink) Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:55 pm   Uses of "Too" and "Also"

Hi Crazy

Often it will be only the broader context that tells you exactly what those words refer to.

- Jim plays the guitar. Ben plays the guitar too. (Both play the guitar.)

- Jim plays the guitar. Ben does too./So does Ben. (Both play the guitar.)

- Jim plays the guitar. Ben also plays the piano. -OR- Ben plays the piano too/as well. (This suggests that Jim does not play the piano, but Ben plays both the guitar and the piano.)

- Jim plays the guitar. He plays the piano too/as well. -OR- He also plays the piano. (Jim plays both instruments.)
.
_________________

Uses of "Too" and "Also" #9 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:38 am   Uses of "Too" and "Also"

And don't forget to put the before instruments :) .
_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

Uses of "Too" and "Also" #10 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:27 am   Uses of "Too" and "Also"

Hi Yankee & Igna,

Thank you very much for replying.It is a great help to me.
Crazy

Sentence correction: I am requesting meeting with you regarding on performancethe snow v.s. snowSentence: From the article, it is difficult to assess the activity of Mr. X'So' is placed before a verb?When I was a child, ...while vs whenPhrase "Are you available on this Mon?'""He fell on the nose" vs "He fell on the mouth."Finding out mistakes: Agnes was upset by some of her husband's religious ideas"in which there is sand" ... "sand is in it"telephone conversation in American EnglishReported speech (Marry: What shall we do on saturday?)"what means" or "which means"