to rub; to achieve or obtain with difficulty; to delete; to cross out
elect
scratch
veil
originate

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Usage of articles: A definition of the/a/(none) chair. | problem with mean of a phrase! - "yet in still"
Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 08, 2008 18:46 pm   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

What is the pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?
Is it true that in British English it is: /ˈməubaɪl fəun/
and in American English it is: ˈ/moubəl foun/ or /ˈmoubiːl foun/

By the way, what's the difference between the two pronunciations /foun/ and /fəun/?

Many thanks
Nessie
_________________
:(... something we never have again, I know... I guess I really really know.. :(

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 0:12 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Most British people say [mɛʊbaɪl], but some say [mɛʊbəl].
Most Americans say [moʊbəl], but a few say [moʊbaɪl]. I've never, ever heard an American say [ˈmoubiːl foun]. It seems impossible. (Anyway, Americans usually say cellphone.)

The two pronunciations of "phone" are just regional variations on the pronunciation of the vowel /o/, so I just don't understand your question. You'll find people in both countries who use either pronunciation.

By the way, in the US, the word "mobile" means "moveable" when pronounced [moʊbəl], but when pronounced [moʊbiːl], it means a hanging sculpture.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:02 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Jamie (K) wrote:

Hi Jamie,
Thank you very much for your help. I just meant that I don't know how to pronounce /əu/ and /ou/ differently... :roll:

So it is a noun when pronouced [moʊbiːl], and an adjective when pronounced [moʊbəl]?
By the way, what do you mean by "a hanging scrupture", Jamie?

_________________

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:00 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

a decoration made of small objects tied to wires or string which is hung up so that the objects move when air blows around them
_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:16 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

For me, /ˈməubaɪlf_əun/.
Molly

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #6 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:58 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Molly wrote:
For me, /ˈməubaɪlf_əun/.

Then you're not linking correctly.

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #7 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:04 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Jamie (K) wrote:
Molly wrote:
For me, /ˈməubaɪlf_əun/.

Then you're not linking correctly.

In whose variant?

In my variant, it would come out like this:

/ˈməubaɪlfəun/.
Molly

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #8 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:10 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

nessie wrote:

Don't even worry about it.

nessie wrote:

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #9 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:13 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Molly wrote:
Jamie (K) wrote:
Molly wrote:
For me, /ˈməubaɪlf_əun/.

Then you're not linking correctly.

In whose variant?

In the standard British and American variants, /ˈməubaɪlf_əun/ would be wrong, because the /f/ has to begin the syllable of the next word, not end the first word and leave the second word vowel-initial without a consonantal syllable onset. This is universal in native-speaker English. Either you pronounce it wrong or your transcription is buggy.

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #10 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:15 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Then there's:

snowmobile
Molly

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #11 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:17 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

This is universal in native-speaker English.

Which variants would you class as "native-speaker"? And why should one follow only native-speaker prescription? There's a world of Englishes out there and all doing just fine.

I pronounce it as one word: /ˈməubaɪlfəun/
Molly

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #12 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 19:34 pm   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

I suspect that my browser needs an update, as I can only see little boxes where symbols should be.

I tend to hear "mo-" with a stress and the vowel of "go", and "bile" with the vowel of "while".

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #13 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:07 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Molly wrote:

Oh, there you go again, beating that same dead horse.

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #14 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:39 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Jamie (K) wrote:

Dead for whom?
Molly

Expression: "Although he has got a lot of potential..."Help me with this exerciseBurning comma questionThe best way to inscribe a diary?Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath"Are or Is cake, bread and sandwich your favorites?At the best of times - what does it mean?Usage of "such as to"rise to the challenge v.s. rise to the occasionSentence: From the article, it is difficult to assess the activity of Mr. XI've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.Usage of lately