Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to rub; to achieve or obtain with difficulty; to delete; to cross out
elect
scratch
veil
originate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Usage of articles: A definition of the/a/(none) chair. | problem with mean of a phrase! - "yet in still"
listening exercisestell a friend
Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #1 (permalink) Sun Jun 08, 2008 18:46 pm   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Hi,

What is the pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?
Is it true that in British English it is: /ˈməubaɪl fəun/
and in American English it is: ˈ/moubəl foun/ or /ˈmoubiːl foun/

By the way, what's the difference between the two pronunciations /foun/ and /fəun/?

Many thanks
Nessie

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 0:12 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Most British people say [mɛʊbaɪl], but some say [mɛʊbəl].
Most Americans say [moʊbəl], but a few say [moʊbaɪl]. I've never, ever heard an American say [ˈmoubiːl foun]. It seems impossible. (Anyway, Americans usually say cellphone.)

The two pronunciations of "phone" are just regional variations on the pronunciation of the vowel /o/, so I just don't understand your question. You'll find people in both countries who use either pronunciation.

By the way, in the US, the word "mobile" means "moveable" when pronounced [moʊbəl], but when pronounced [moʊbiːl], it means a hanging sculpture.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:02 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Jamie (K) wrote:
The two pronunciations of "phone" are just regional variations on the pronunciation of the vowel /o/, so I just don't understand your question. You'll find people in both countries who use either pronunciation.

Hi Jamie,
Thank you very much for your help. I just meant that I don't know how to pronounce /əu/ and /ou/ differently... :roll:

By the way, in the US, the word "mobile" means "moveable" when pronounced [moʊbəl], but when pronounced [moʊbiːl], it means a hanging sculpture.

So it is a noun when pronouced [moʊbiːl], and an adjective when pronounced [moʊbəl]?
By the way, what do you mean by "a hanging scrupture", Jamie?

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:00 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Quote:

a decoration made of small objects tied to wires or string which is hung up so that the objects move when air blows around them

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:16 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

For me, /ˈməubaɪlf_əun/.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #6 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:58 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Molly wrote:
For me, /ˈməubaɪlf_əun/.

Then you're not linking correctly.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #7 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:04 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Jamie (K) wrote:
Molly wrote:
For me, /ˈməubaɪlf_əun/.

In whose variant?

In my variant, it would come out like this:

/ˈməubaɪlfəun/.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #8 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:10 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

nessie wrote:
Thank you very much for your help. I just meant that I don't know how to pronounce /əu/ and /ou/ differently... :roll:

Don't even worry about it.

nessie wrote:

Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #9 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:13 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Molly wrote:
Jamie (K) wrote:
Molly wrote:
For me, /ˈməubaɪlf_əun/.

In whose variant?

In the standard British and American variants, /ˈməubaɪlf_əun/ would be wrong, because the /f/ has to begin the syllable of the next word, not end the first word and leave the second word vowel-initial without a consonantal syllable onset. This is universal in native-speaker English. Either you pronounce it wrong or your transcription is buggy.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #10 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:15 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Then there's:

snowmobile
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #11 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:17 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Quote:
This is universal in native-speaker English.

Which variants would you class as "native-speaker"? And why should one follow only native-speaker prescription? There's a world of Englishes out there and all doing just fine.

I pronounce it as one word: /ˈməubaɪlfəun/
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #12 (permalink) Tue Jun 10, 2008 19:34 pm   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

I suspect that my browser needs an update, as I can only see little boxes where symbols should be.

I tend to hear "mo-" with a stress and the vowel of "go", and "bile" with the vowel of "while".

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #13 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:07 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Molly wrote:
Quote:
This is universal in native-speaker English.

Which variants would you class as "native-speaker"? And why should one follow only native-speaker prescription? There's a world of Englishes out there and all doing just fine.

Oh, there you go again, beating that same dead horse.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"? #14 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:39 am   Pronunciation of "mobile" in "mobile phone"?

Jamie (K) wrote:
Oh, there you go again, beating that same dead horse.

Dead for whom?
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Usage of articles: A definition of the/a/(none) chair. | problem with mean of a phrase! - "yet in still"
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Expression: "Although he has got a lot of potential..."Help me with this exerciseBurning comma questionThe best way to inscribe a diary?Finding mistake (The jumping mouse , especially when...)"Walking on the footpath" vs "Walking along the footpath"Are or Is cake, bread and sandwich your favorites?At the best of times - what does it mean?Usage of "such as to"rise to the challenge v.s. rise to the occasionSentence: From the article, it is difficult to assess the activity of Mr. XI've drunk two cups of tea this morning. vs I drank two cups of tea this morning.Usage of lately