Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

not the same; unusual; distinctive
complicated
different
changeable
disparate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

telephone conversation in American English

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Reported speech (Marry: What shall we do on saturday?) | "He fell on the nose" vs "He fell on the mouth."
listening exercisestell a friend
telephone conversation in American English #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:48 am   telephone conversation in American English

When we want to say who we are calling in American English, which of the following expressions is acceptable?
1. Is Maria there, please?
2. Is Maria here, please?

#1 is acceptable in British English. Is it also acceptable in American English? #2 is not acceptable in British. Is it acceptable in American English?

telephone conversation in American English #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:11 am   telephone conversation in American English

The speaker is ignoring distance over the telephone line when he/she uses "Is Maria here, please?" so that a more amiable ambiance could be hopefully created, IMO. I also suppose the latter is more popularly used in US than in UK although I am not very sure.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
telephone conversation in American English #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:08 am   telephone conversation in American English

Hi Sitifan (and Haihao)

Of your two sentences, only the first one sounds like one that might be used here in the US. Using the word 'here' would ignore the fact that 'I am here in this location and Maria is somewhere else'. The caller would think or hope that Maria is 'there' at that place being called. Thus, it would be typical to use 'there'.

If someone calls Maria at home, they might initially ask "Is Maria home?"
If someone calls Maria at work, they might ask "Is Maria in (the office)?"
People here will also say "Hi. Can/Could/May I speak to Maria, please?" (depending on the level of formality the caller decides to use).

There are a number of sentences that people commonly use. However, I would not expect to hear a caller ask if Maria is 'here'. Saying "Is Maria here?" at the beginning of a phone call might actually elicit a joking response such as "I hope not! She's supposed to be here!"

Reported speech (Marry: What shall we do on saturday?) | "He fell on the nose" vs "He fell on the mouth."
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
incredulous vs scepticalWhen I was a child, ...Phrase "Are you available on this Mon?'"Finding out mistakes: Agnes was upset by some of her husband's religious ideas"in which there is sand" ... "sand is in it"client vs. customerunreasonable largeReported speech: The mother accused her son of not having done what she had said"Get over it" vs "Get it over with"what does "prime example" mean?Would you be so kind and help me correcting this document?Multiple choice questions: What's wrong? vs. What's matter?Uses of "Too" and "Also"