to rent out property for a specific period of time; to let
object
lease
promote
nominate

The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

start+finish or getstarted+getdone | Poem: "Perhaps this could have stayed unstated"
The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is... #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 11, 2008 22:13 pm   The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is...

I here the kids in the area all using the word "tight" to describe everything they like. Does someone know where this usage comes from?
Mace

Location: Citrus Heights California

The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is... #2 (permalink) Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:35 am   The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is...

I am not sure, but possibly,

1. sleep tight
2. be tight with one another.
Haihao

Location: Japan

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is... #3 (permalink) Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:39 am   The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is...

A tight fellow! - I know this expression is used to praise or approve somebody.
_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is... #4 (permalink) Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:49 am   The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is...

Mace wrote:
I here the kids in the area all using the word "tight"..

In which area?
Molly

correction- I HEAR- #5 (permalink) Fri Jun 13, 2008 23:07 pm   correction- I HEAR-

And the area is Citrus Heights, California. By Sacramento.
Mace

Location: Citrus Heights California

correction- I HEAR- #6 (permalink) Fri Jun 13, 2008 23:34 pm   correction- I HEAR-

Mace wrote:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=88414136

You're right. I guess it means "cool", or similar. I wonder what "That's legit as f*ck" (same page) means?
Molly

The word FUCK is the most diversive word in the english language. #7 (permalink) Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:20 am   The word xyz is the most diversive word in the english language.

Molly wrote:
Mace wrote:

The word "F*CK" is the most diversive word in the english language. If you really think about it, you can use that word in every way possible. As a noun, verb, adjective- you name it! One could say "Daaammmnn, that's tight as f*ck!" and be understood by the other young people around them. Maybe "tight" is the "legit" of today, eh?
But I still really want to know where using "tight" this way started.
Have any theories of your own?
Mace

Location: Citrus Heights California

The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is... #8 (permalink) Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:43 am   The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is...

Have any theories of your own?

Maybe it's based on one of these uses of "sound":

adjective: free from moral defect (Example: "A man of sound character")
adjective: financially secure and safe (Example: "Sound investments")
adjective: in good condition; free from defect or damage or decay (Example: "A sound timber")
adjective: thorough (Example: "A sound thrashing")
adjective: having legal efficacy or force (Example: "A sound title to the property")
adjective: reflects weight of sound argument or evidence (Example: "A sound argument")
adjective: in excellent physical condition (Example: "A sound mind in a sound body")
adjective: (of sleep) deep and complete (Example: "A sound sleeper")
adjective: exercising or showing good judgment (Example: "A sound approach to the problem")
adverb: deeply or completely (Example: "Slept soundly through the storm")
Molly

The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is... #9 (permalink) Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:48 am   The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is...

Mace wrote:

It probably comes from one or both of two sources:

1. Pornographic language: a tight vagina

2. Music slang: When a group of musicians plays together in a well-coordinated way, so that they do everything on cue without even really having to practice, they are called "tight".

Considering how much obscenity kids are exposed to on TV, in rap music and in other places now, I think the pornographic source is the most likely, although if that's the origin, the kids probably won't know it.

The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is... #10 (permalink) Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:47 pm   The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is...

I think the pornographic source is the most likely, although if that's the origin, the kids probably won't know it.

Sounds like an unlikely connection.
Molly

The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is... #11 (permalink) Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:53 pm   The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is...

Molly wrote:

Sounds like an unlikely connection.

There you go with your ignorance of the culture again.

The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is... #12 (permalink) Sun Jun 15, 2008 15:35 pm   The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is...

Jamie (K) wrote:

How did your knowledge of Citrus Heights culture lead you to the "vagina" conclusion?
Molly

The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is... #13 (permalink) Mon Jun 16, 2008 22:14 pm   The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is...

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately my own theory has always been what we will now call the "vagina" theory. Sad statement but true. I have a 5 year old son and we have 8 boys between the ages of 4-8 years old as our neighbors and friends. And when I heard my son say "Daddy look! Thats tight!" it bothered me, so I asked him not to use that expression anymore. When his friends were at our house recently they asked me why my son was not allowed to say "tight". Not feeling comfortable explaining exactly why I said "I do not like my son using street slang without knowing where it comes from, its true meaning and how to use it properly. Using words you dont understand in the wrong circles can not only get you in trouble but can even get you hurt." I then left the room before they could start pelting me with more questions. To make sure I was making the right decision, I went searching for someone to validate what I know to be true from my own life experience without actually asking the question. Its really a shame that such a disgusting expression can sneak into our childrens vocabulary and our homes. Three of my sons friends are brothers and they live in a strict Christian home, attend private schools, do not own a video game console, watch only select television shows, and have only supervised computer access. Yet they use this expression regularly. If their parents new the root of the expression they would surely freak!
Thanks again for your time. I love the internet!!!

Mace

"Hearing only what you want to hear, knowing only what you,ve heard"

Quote- Great poet of the late twentieth century,
James Hetfield
Mace

Location: Citrus Heights California

The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is... #14 (permalink) Mon Jun 16, 2008 22:17 pm   The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is...

I do not like my son using street slang without knowing where it comes from, its true meaning and how to use it properly. Using words you dont understand in the wrong circles can not only get you in trouble but can even get you hurt."

Did you use slang when you were young, Mace?

And I wouldn't worry too much about the origin of a lot of slang, Mace. Most people who use such slang are unaware of the origins of such. So, saying "tight", for many people, has the same meaning as saying "cool" has for others, for example. No longer to do with virgins, vaginas and restriction, IMO.

Here in Spain, many speakers from all walks of life use the word "conio" all the time, and without any intended reference to its origin. Not one person I know relates it to its origin when it's said to them.
Molly

The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is... #15 (permalink) Tue Jun 17, 2008 0:37 am   The origin of the word "tight" being used to say something is...

Sure, kids use slang. And sure, parents can say "that's not acceptable in this house."

Once I told my 9-year-old daughter was "schmuck" meant, she didn't want to use it either. (Probably it would have made a 9-year-old boy use it even more.)
Barb_D

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The use of 'Prick' 'Pierce' etcComposition: I would be for the death penalty since that the justice system...Having said thatChicken is countable or uncountable?No X is so ... that... can'tnot so busy that ... can'tgo+take or going+takingNeed help with a sonnet by ShakespeareWalking on a tight ropeExpression "true megapixel video sensor"Cool expressions: She thinks out of the box, couch potato, etc.Decide between X or Y / X and YGrammar question: -ing and to participles