Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

extreme; great; powerful; strong; profound
succinct
prevalent
intense
perennial
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression "the gig/jig is up"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
meaning of "Mow my lawn" | What does this idiom mean: Opportunity knocks but once?
listening exercisestell a friend
Expression "the gig/jig is up" #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:56 am   Expression "the gig/jig is up"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #421 "English Slang Idioms (161)", question 7

"The gig is .......... You are under arrest for embezzlement. We can prove that you have been stealing from your employer. Granted, you have a complex way of going about it but it didn't fool us," Detective Burns told Mr. Hammond.

(a) affected
(b) erased
(c) null
(d) up

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #421 "English Slang Idioms (161)", answer 7

"The gig is up. You are under arrest for embezzlement. We can prove that you have been stealing from your employer. Granted, you have a complex way of going about it but it didn't fool us," Detective Burns told Mr. Hammond.

Correct answer: (d) up

Hi
"The jig is up" is a well-known expression. Can we assume that 'gig' in this test is supposed to be pronounced the same as the word 'jig'? (Or is 'gig' a typo?)

Expression "the gig/jig is up" #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:45 am   Expression "the gig/jig is up"

That's interesting. I didn't know the expression "the gig/jig is up".

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression "the gig/jig is up" #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:26 am   Expression "the gig/jig is up"

A little Googling goes a long way.

Quote:
Deborah Grey clearly states that the "GIG" is up, not the "JIG" as you report.
When someone says the "gig" is up, they mean that an engagement has played its course.

When someone says the "jig" is up, it indicates that a scoundrel has been found out, and the forces of law and order are on their way.

Clearly, there is a vast distinction between the two words.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/indepth/words/gigjig.html
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression "the gig/jig is up" #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:44 am   Expression "the gig/jig is up"

So, if Deborah Gray (whoever she is) is to be believed, the spelling should be 'jig'. That is also the spelling I'm familiar with for this idiom.

Expression "the gig/jig is up" #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:12 pm   Expression "the gig/jig is up"

Hi

"jig" would be the right use of the known idiom.

The gig is up is quite new to me in usage, but could be perceivably used in the context of general events. However gig is commonly used in specific reference to a concert.

cheers stew.t.

Expression "the gig/jig is up" #6 (permalink) Mon Jun 16, 2008 15:06 pm   Expression "the gig/jig is up"

Yankee wrote:
So, if Deborah Gray (whoever she is) is to be believed, the spelling should be 'jig'.

I guess so.
Molly
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression "the gig/jig is up" #7 (permalink) Mon Jun 16, 2008 18:17 pm   Expression "the gig/jig is up"

stew.t. wrote:
However gig commonly used in specific reference to a concert.
The word 'gig' is also used in a couple of other ways -- in reference to a 'gigabyte', for example. But I had never seen the idiom 'the jig is up' written with the word 'gig'. Thus my question to the author of the test sentence. It seems to me that 'gig' is a typo in this test.

Expression "the gig/jig is up" #8 (permalink) Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:53 am   Expression "the gig/jig is up"

I've heard it both ways.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

meaning of "Mow my lawn" | What does this idiom mean: Opportunity knocks but once?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
I thought sticking 'to' would be appropriate here. Why 'stick at'?what is the meaning og intelligibly?what's the difference between farther and further?What are elements of organizational behavior?Does one use quotation marks or underline for a well-known musical play?Expression "He/She is a total alley cat"Idiom "Are we all set to go?""native speaker" vs "natural speaker"what is the meaning of sparse?Phrase "little peace and halt at the office"meaning of "Are you alright?"Some sort of punctuation after the word coin would do the trick.How to answer mulitiple choice questions?