Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to bring from another place; to bring goods from a foreign country; to signify; to imply
will
import
clear
approach
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"attender" vs "attendee"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
glazed over eyes | Sentence: Now don't forget that on Monday you fly to Denver and from there you...
listening exercisestell a friend
"attender" vs "attendee" #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 18, 2008 17:10 pm   "attender" vs "attendee"

Hi,

What's the difference between "attender" and "attendee"?

Many thanks.
Nessie.

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"attender" vs "attendee" #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 18, 2008 17:57 pm   "attender" vs "attendee"

To my ear, "attendee" is better.

Both mean "one who attends, one who is in attendance, one who attended" etc.

If you want to give the root some Latin flair, try this on for size:

Attendiero (male attendee)
Attendiera (female attendee)

hehe

Quite frankly... I'm trying to remember the last time I heard or read -- aside from this thread -- the word "attender". I cannot recall the instance.

That doesn't mean it isn't used, just that it's not common in my experience.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
"attender" vs "attendee" #3 (permalink) Wed Jun 18, 2008 18:57 pm   "attender" vs "attendee"

Hi Nessie,

In addition to Tom's answer you might want to read attender vs. attendee.

Regards,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, photographs: A family picture
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

"attender" vs "attendee" #4 (permalink) Wed Jun 18, 2008 19:17 pm   "attender" vs "attendee"

yah, that page throws "attendant" into the mix -- "attendant" is often used in a completely different capacity... as in "flight attendant", as Torsten noted.

For instance, a flight attendant is an airline employee who serves (ostensibly, anyway, it's what they're supposed to do) a flight's customers.

"attender" vs "attendee" #5 (permalink) Fri Jun 20, 2008 17:51 pm   "attender" vs "attendee"

Thanks a lot, Prezbucky and Torsten :)

Hi Prezbucky,
I think I've found out the reason you don't often hear "attender" :P Here is what I see in the OALD:

attender
(especially BrE) (AmE usually attendee) noun a person who goes to a place or an event, often on a regular basis: She's a regular attender at evening classes.

:P:P

Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"attender" vs "attendee" #6 (permalink) Fri Jun 20, 2008 18:02 pm   "attender" vs "attendee"

By the way, I also want you to have a look at these

ATTENDER:

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary:
attender
(especially BrE) (AmE usually attendee) noun a person who goes to a place or an event, often on a regular basis: She's a regular attender at evening classes. PowerExif - the best choice to edit EXIF data in imagesLongman Dictionary of Contemporary English

Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:
attender
atĚtendĚer /əˈtendə US -ər/ n [C]
someone who regularly goes to an event such as a meeting or a class
 Daniel was a regular attender at the Baptist Church.

ATTENDEE:
(only found in Longman, no result in OALD)
attendee
atĚtenĚdee /əˌtenˈdiː, ˌŠten-/ n [C]
someone who is at an event such as a meeting or a course

=> So, I've just come to a conclusion:
1/ Both "attender" and "attendee" have the meaning of "someone who REGULARLY goes to a place, such as a meeting or a class
2/ "attender" is BrE and "attendee" is AmE
3/ only "attendee" has the meaning of "someone who is at an event such as a meeting or a course" (not regularly - not refering to a habit - just refering to the person who is at the event at the moment of speaking)
4/ If both 2 and 3 are right, I just wonder what the BrE substitude for "attendee" is.

Please give me a check
Thank you very much.
Nessie.

Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"attender" vs "attendee" #7 (permalink) Sat Jun 21, 2008 18:56 pm   "attender" vs "attendee"

Hi,
Could you please give me a check?

Many thanks
Nessie

Nessie
I'm a Communicator ;-)

glazed over eyes | Sentence: Now don't forget that on Monday you fly to Denver and from there you...
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
knock wood v.s. knock on woodA small dialogUsage of foregone (A foregone conclusion if you say that sth is a foregone...)sentence transformation (Jack loses his temper easily.)generosity or generousness?Jacob and Jamesbe used to vs get used toCorrect answer for: No offence intended ... I think you haven't understood the...What does 'what' mean? (What with being so busy both at work and and at...)meaning of "token woman"Difference in usage: Get, Got, GettingSentence "They elected her to be the president"?one, less than one and more than one.