part; district; paragraph; passage; department; unit
section
majority
resist
definition

Usage of "majority" and "minority"

watermelon vs watermelons | Correct usage of legal or law English?
Usage of "majority" and "minority" #1 (permalink) Wed Jun 18, 2008 17:49 pm   Usage of "majority" and "minority"

Could you please clarify the use of verbs in sentences beginning with "majority" and "minority" for me?

1. The majority of + plural count noun + plural verb => ok.
2. The majority of + singular count noun/ non-count noun + singular verb => wrong.
3. Same goes for "the minority of"

=> Are my ideas correct, and are there any other cases?

Many thanks
Nessie
_________________
:(... something we never have again, I know... I guess I really really know.. :(

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

"majority", "minority" #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 18, 2008 18:59 pm   "majority", "minority"

I'd have to see some concrete sentences, but I think your rules are right.

There are some quantifiers, such as "the majority of", "a minority of", "a number of", "a lot of", etc., that are transparent for the purpose of singular/plural verb forms, so you have to use the verb form that corresponds to the noun that comes after "of".

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Usage of "majority" and "minority" #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 20, 2008 16:18 pm   Usage of "majority" and "minority"

Thanks a lot, Jamie :)

I just want to make it clear:
"A lot of" can be followed by a non-count noun, but surely "the majority of", "a minority of" and "a number of" can't do the same, right?
And when we say "The minority of ...", we do refer to a number greater than one, don't we?
_________________

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...
Nessie

be used to vs get used toCorrect answer for: No offence intended ... I think you haven't understood the...What does 'what' mean? (What with being so busy both at work and and at...)Difference in usage: Get, Got, GettingConstruction "get used to + ..."Noun follow "either of", "neither of"Tender of DeliveryDefining phrasal verbs.So or such?Difference between 'get sth done' and 'have sth done'Adjectives and Sentence begins with a verbSoup That Eats Like a Mealthoughts vs thought